- From Michael Musto - June 8th%0D\
Which stunt casting star on Broadway didn%E2%80%99t get entrance applause until her second appearance because she looked so old no one had any idea it was her at first? (Brooke Shields) %0D
- Musto is a drip.
- Brooke Shields is a woman of many (mediocre) talents.
- Got decent reviews when she took over for \
Donna Murphy in Wonderful Town. Sounded awful during the opening last night, but I''d give her the ben of the doubt on that one.
- [quote]Brooke Shields: The Actress\
You''re a generous man, OP.
- Shields was OK in "Grease", better in "Chicago", better still in "Cabaret", and terrific in "Wonderful Town".\
After Brooke''s London Times'' Op-Ed piece (brief excerpt below), who can help but love her?\
"I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that... (we) do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I''m going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.... comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere.
- She gave a great performance in that commercial for the medication that will help your eyelashes grow longer.
- She was the most hilarious Sally Bowles I''ve ever seen. She had the audience rolling in the aisles from her first moments.
- OP, thinks for reminding us of her current profession. I keep thinking she''s a faded model who''s still riding on the fumes of a jeans commercial that aired in the early 80s.
- I believe that was, in fact, career move three, or more, for Shields, R9. She''d worked as a model for Scavullo before her first birthday, and was praised for her performance in "Pretty Baby", which was filmed when she was eleven. She was fourteen when was in the Calvin Klein ads you''ve referenced.\
To date, she''s also graduated from Princeton, written a best-seller, made around thirty-five films, had an almost equal number of TV roles, (including three series), starred on Broadway four times and appeared on-stage in London.\
Please let us know about your own illustrious career.
- And her lazy boy adds put Olivier to shame!%0D\
- I heard her mother Terri is senile and in a home in Joisey.
- She got fantastic reviews playing a lesbian in the movie ''What Makes A Family''
- They are doing a sequel to the movie that made her famous. Pretty Granny due to hit theaters in 2012!
- Her best role ever: Freeway
- One would hope that any well-known actor who''d called her deep roots in the gay community "the proudest part of my life", would be more respected here.
- She is more respected in the gay community. This is the DL. There is a HUGE difference.
- She has vastly improved as an actress and took the advice of many and took acting lessons. Hello! January Jones, are you listening?
- I thought she was quite good in that "Lipstick Jungle" series a few years ago.\
Unfortunately, it got easily mixed up with the horrendous "Cashmere Mafia" and got shitcanned early.
- Baba Wawa and Bwooke.
- I''ve always liked Brooke, but she has had her share of wooden performances.
- She couldn''t remember the line she was supposed to sing on the Tony awards opening. Later she got bleeped - was it an F-bomb?%0D\
She needs to pack it in and just go home.
- She''s done stellar work as a beard over the years.
- Saw her walking around Georgetown in a scarf wrapped around her head & huge sunglasses - at night. She went into an ice cream shop & removed them. She is rather tall.
- I posted earlier about her hilarious performance in CABARET. She was pretty bad. But to say something nice, she''s much prettier in person. I saw her on the street and was stunned at how good she looked. Much less mannish, much softer and quite beautiful.
- I met her at a party a couple of years ago and agree that she is much prettier in person. Plus she was very sweet and down to earth.
- She was so stunning as a teenager but unlike Elizabeth Taylor,that did not translate into adulthood. Everytime I see her, I think how badly she aged compared to her beautiful 16 year old self.%0D\
As for Cruise, Shields caved in on that one. She didn''t have the guts to really take on the Scienos.
- The Musto BI isn''t Brooke as she hasn''t even opened yet in Addams Family (scheduled for June 28th)
- She was, for me, a better fit for Wonderful Town than Donna Murphy. She is better at being goofy than she is at any kind of sophisticated work.
- How did such an ugly mother produce such a stunningly beautiful child?
- Betty Comden, a friend of mine in her later years, said she liked Brooke better than Donna Murphy in Wonderful Town. Betty thought Brooke got all her laughs. That''s high praise.
- I remember when I first saw her in an advertisement (I think for Colgate or Crest) she was still a child. Unbelievably stunning. Just a beautiful, beautiful child. \
It is weird that with such good features she didn''t carry it through to adulthood. She''s still beautiful by most people''s standards - but not jaw dropping gorgeous like I thought she would be.
- That''s true, R31, and Betty would know. Saw Shields in the role more than once, she was SOOO much better than Donna in every way.\
Plus the show had its best financial weeks during Brooke''s tenure.\
Now why didn''t they send out that rumored national company with Lucie Arnaz?
- She has the eyebrows to play Cousin Itt.
- Brooke Shields: The Actress?? ...as opposed to the panty liner??%0D\
- I''m surprised she gets work. She always give off the vibe of trying really hard but never delivering. I can only guess a lot of people grew up with her and are curious how she turned out.
- She made the mistake of taking time off to attend college. It was a noble gesture- I mean, JODIE did it. But wrong for Brooke. She lost momentum, didn''t study acting. Kudos to her for salvaging a career that could have disappeared at 17.
- Brooke Shields: The Actress????%0D\
as opposed to Brooke Shields: The Anti-histamine?
- It''s funny how no-talent, unknown assholes enjoy taking anonymous pokes at someone who''s had more success in one year than they will in their entire miserable lives.
- I don''t know I worked behind the scenes fo Broadway shows and I heard how great she was in "Wonderful Town" so when she came into "Chicago" I bit the bullet to sit thru that creaky old mess again and I was so disappointed in her. She was no better than a high school performer you could see on YouTube any day. And as for being nice, I''ve seen her on more than one occasion do the fake talking on the phone routine to avoid fans which is hilarious and cold.
- I miss the old Bob Hope specials. Brooke was wonderful on them.
- I had Miss Shields on a flight years ago when she was dating Andre Agassi. She was quite stunning and very gracious. Much slimmer in person too (looks big on tv).
- Lou, she looks like she has beautiful skin.. so, did she?
- She was gorgeous back in the Agassi days.
- Lou, another question.. is she mannish looking in person?
- She's starting to get into Cher "Survivor" status, I swear -- she's been around, since, what 1976 and keeps re-inventing herself, never really goes away.
I mean, I know it's not Malle and "Pretty Baby" but she's damn funny as the trashy neighor on "The Middle". I even liked her as a guest judge on "Project Runway". Icon status and she's still got a long way to go.
(I know, I know, I sound like her press agent. But she really has been around forever and I like her.)
- R43. She boarded the flight in SFO, had just flown in from Tokyo and we were flying to Washington Dulles. She was wearing a casual sweats outfit but still looked great. No attitude, very personable. She was sitting next to some Walter Mitty nerdy type and was busy reading scripts but was friendly and stopped to talk with this guy and answer his nerdy questions. Gave him something to tell his grandchildren. About an hour before landing she went into the lav and changed into a beautiful outfit and put on make-up. She came out looking stunning. Really a lovely person. And yes her skin, and everything about her was beautiful.
- R45. She was very tall and I was surprised she was slimmer looking than she appears on tv. (her ass looked big on tv). Not mannish, very beautiful.
- r46, who can really say they don't like her.
Maybe they don't think she is a great actress, but she is a very nice person.
I prefer her to have success than Kim Kardashian.
- cool Lou, thanks for the gossip!
- Thanks Lou! I never thought her ass looked overly big.
- I thought she was really moving in Cabaret, funny in Wonderful Town, and trashy/campy in Grease.
I also liked Lipstick Jungle and was sorry it was cancelled.
- I even thought she was funny in Suddenly Susan.
- Brooke Shields has been famous forever, she was the Face of the 80's.
- Plus, she lost her virginity to Dean Cain at Princeton.
- Oh, my!
- To Dean? Really? Interesting.
- The funniest thing I ever saw was some Lifetime movie (based on a true story) where she played a woman being stalked by her co-worker played by "John Boy" (forget his name).
She's doing a scene where she's crying as she's standing with her back against an office door and she goes down to the ground... and you see the reflection of the cameraman going down with her.
- Here she is in 1984 telling a joke.
- More recently
- She's hysterical as the horrible trash neighbor on The Middle - hope they have her back.
- Women with angular or large features (square jaw, long chin, etc) usually look better in person. I was shocked (SHOCKED!!) at how much better looking Tori Spelling was in person. It's crazy how the camera can make certain features look bigger or "off" somehow. Another actress I saw years ago who looked much softer in person was SJP. And Celine Dion as well. It's kind of weird.
- Short clip from suddenly Susan
- Brooke recently moved into the neigborhood. Saw her on the street. Looks good for her age.
- She was also a good sport in that killer movie with Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland.
- Brooke in 1985 (age 20) with The Muppets
- I like her. She did a good job playing Cherry Jones' lesbian lover in that TV movie. She gets her good looks from her dad,BTW, not her fuggo mother.
- She's always been more of a celebrity than an actress.
She was grotesquely promoted as a sex symbol while she was still a little girl. Her crazy mother had her posing nude while she was still a child. I can remember seeing a photo of her, her face painted like a whore's, a little girl standing nude in a bathtub (I think that's how she was posed). The pictures were displayed in a window, and Terri Shields sued to have them removed, but lost because she'd signed release papers and had no legal recourse. She was quite the pimp.
As a child and teenager she was built up as a sex symbol ("What comes between me and my Calvins? Nothng"). At 12, she played a child prostitute in "Pretty Baby" and made a big splash. She had two other movie successes afer that, both teen sex movies, both of them very bad: "The Blue Lagoon" and "Endless Love." After her teen years her movie career tanked, due to her lack of talent and aging out of her tittilating teen sex object image.
She got accepted to Princeton despite low SAT scores and graduated despite not having completely the requisite math and science credits.
Her marriage to Andre Agassi flopped. His memoir depicted her as shallow, none too intelligent and obsessed with her career.
Over the years, she's lost her fragile young girl beauty and aged into a trannyesque, hard looking woman.
One word could best be used to decribe her: mediocre.
- R69= Lindsey Lohan
- Brooke Shields has always been a big supporter of our gays. r69, you must be really pleasant at parties.
- Guess she got out of Leap of Faith while the getting was good.
- Brooke Shields first magazine cover.
- I like Brooke Shields with her natural light auburn color, rather than the dark that she's wearing now. Brooke looks more softer with lighter hair.
- Agassi was/is a big homophobe. Shields had a lot of gay male friends and Agassi hated them all.
Shields turned out remarkably well given how her mother ran her career. She got college educated and never slipped into a party lifestyle. Another one Lindsay would be wise to seek counsel from.
- [quote]Her marriage to Andre Agassi flopped. His memoir depicted her as shallow, none too intelligent and obsessed with her career.
You know what they say: it's not what's said, but who says it. Agassi is a shit. He tested positive for drugs while on tour, but he blamed someone in his team for it, and ATP swept it under the carpet. He was a celebrity whore, which is why he chose to marry Shields in the first place.
- Wasn't Agassi in the closet?
- Wow R69. They way you wrote that tells me much more about you than it does about Brooke.
- "What Makes A Family" has been uploaded on YouTube.
- She did a shitload of [italic]Vogue[/italic] covers in the '80s.
- Brooke winning PCA for Suddenly Susan. She seems very gracious.
- [quote]As for Cruise, Shields caved in on that one. She didn't have the guts to really take on the Scienos.
How did Shields "cave"? Cruise apologized to her.
- Her smackdown of Cruise made me respect Brooke even more.
- Brooke on a Bob Hope special age 18
- When I was younger I used to fantasize about having Brooke Shields as a close friend. I used put my stereo headphones on, listen to some Bee Gees, and daydream about bringing her to my junior high school. I remember visualizing bringing her to meet my History teacher and how he sat as his desk smiling as I brought her into the classroom at the end of the school day.
- Brooke is not an actress. Never was and never will be.
- R86 - Wrong. She's had pretty good success in film, TV, and the stage.
- "Wrong. She's had pretty good success in film, TV, and the stage."
Not really. She had a few hit movies when she was being promoted as child/teen sex symbol (Pretty Baby, The Blue Lagoon, Endless Love). But when she became an adult her film career quickly tanked. She then turned to tv, doing a stupid sitcom, Lifetime movies, that kind of thing. She does theater, but I've never heard her much praised for it. She's not much of an actress.
She bearded for Michael Jackson for several years. She loved the publicity it got her. But she backed off when it became more and more obvious that Jackson's preference was for little boys. For a while when asked about him she'd say "I love him dearly." But she tried to distance herself when it became clear to her it would generate BAD publicity to be connected with Michael Jackson, so when she was asked about her relationship with him she'd say...nothing. She'd been estranged from him for many years by the time he died, but that didn't stop her from being featured prominently in the televised memorial thing that was done for him. She was all weepy and devastated with grief over the loss of her "dear friend." What a bullshit act!
- She was great in "Pretty Baby" getting her "cherry busted." And the part where she was concocting some drug mixture for the ancient madam.
- Suddenly Susan lasted several seasons, and Brooke was quite good on the show. I was surprised by how well she handled the physical comedy. She was also very good in her guest appearances on Friends and other shows.
Her film career as an adult wasn't that bad. She's no Meryl, but she has had a number of pretty good movies.
Whatever her relationship with MJ is not relevant to her quality as an actress.
- She showed grit in her best performance as a lesbian mom in 'What Makes a Family'
- This is PR hack bullshit...magnificent???
- Brooke accepting People's Choice for Suddenly Susan
- And from the series finale
- I've hated her since I found out she's an advocate for wearing fur. She appeared in some pro-fur documentary or something. Her quote about it was something like "at least it's something beautiful in this ugly world." This talentless cunt gets rich on the mere coincidence of being born beautiful, and has the nerve to call the world ugly? Promoting animal cruelty is the only way the pampered nitwit can find happiness? r69 is 100% correct.
- [quote]She bearded for Michael Jackson for several years
Brooke also bearded for George Michael
- "Her film career as an adult wasn't that bad. She's no Meryl, but she has had a number of pretty good movies."
Like WHAT? I can think of only one that was passable: "Pretty Baby", which was directed by Louis Malle, although it's said to be rather dull. Its big gimmick was: "Brooke Shields! Twelve years old! All painted up and playing a baby hooker! And there's a NUDE scene! Wooooooo!" Yes, the sex angle was supposed to be the big attraction. It's pretty gross to think of a 12 year old child promoted as a sex symbol. But hey, look at "Toddlers and Tiaras", all those tiny tots painted up liked hookers and shaking their little bottoms and doing dance moves that simulate a penis going in and out. I guess it appeals to some people.
- Freeway is excellent. Brenda Starr is not bad. She's also been really good in TV.
- Clip of Brooke as the trashy neighbor in The Middle.
- I think Brooke has grown into a very good actress, but her best performance was in "Pretty Baby". And, she loves her gays!
- Her best performance was Freeway.
- Her best performance was Mrs. Agassi.
- Shields was OK in "Grease", better in "Chicago", better still in "Cabaret", and terrific in "Wonderful Town".
- R103 - touche'
- The face of the 80's.
- It was unfortunate that Brenda Starr was delayed so long. Brooke was good in it.
- I agree. Brooke was wonderful in Brenda Starr!
- Bitch had Dean Cain between her legs. It's all down hill after that.
- On Farm Film Report....well, she's kinda pretty....
- Me and Joyce DeWitt used to take turns finger banging her.
- Brooke with her mother and Tip O'Neill on an old episode of "The Brooke Shields Show."
Highlights include Brooke singing Devo's "Crack That Whip!"
- Brooke and Dean
- Is that Catherine O'Hara as Brooks R110?
- Yep, that's O'Hara.
- With Rick Springfield on Suddenly Susan.
- Getting pied
- [quote]Brooke with her mother and Tip O'Neill on an old episode of "The Brooke Shields Show."
That was always my favorite skit on Second City.
Crack That Whip!
- Brooke getting blown-up!
- Brooke walking in frigid NY in sandals.
- The girls can't be Brooke's daughters, because they don't look like her.
- They look just like her when she was a kid, mixed with her husband's looks. As for her sandals, she probably had just gotten a pedicure.
- Oh, I see.
- I don't know if it still holds but as a teen, Brooke was bff with DL favorite Lisa Welchel.
- Was she? R124 Makes sense, but I didn't know that.
- Brooke has a new movie called Hot Flashes. She plays a menopausal woman who gathers her up old basketball team to take on youngsters. Seriously!
- On Craig Kilbourne. She looks good.
- She was never much as an actress. Mediocre, at best.
Her movies were awful. She did those stupid "nothing comes between me and my Calvins" commercials. She was promoted as a sex symbol and she wasn't even legal...gross.
She bearded for Michael Jackson for years. She was given a degree from Yale despite not taking the requisite math and science courses needed to graduate. And now she looks like a tranny. What is there to like?
- She's been getting better as an actor over the past 220 years or so. Brooke has good comedic timing, and can do some drama.
Brooke and MJ were at a few events, but they never were presented as a serious couple. It's not quite the same.
What's the deal with Princeton?
- "She's been getting better as an actor over the past 220 years or so.'
I didn't know her career has spanned 220 years. At any rate, she's better than she was at the beginning, but that isn't saying much.
"Brooke and MJ were at a few events, but they never were presented as a serious couple. It's not quite the same."
They went to more than "a few events" together. Their "love affair" was well-publicized; she was described as being his "girlfriend." She was the one who pursued HIM; he wasn't interested, but she pestered him into taking her to the Grammys. Realizing that it might be good idea to have a very prominent "girlfriend", Michael went with it. I remember some picture of them in a limonsine together; he's clutching her face in one hand and planting a big ol' kiss on her cheek and she has a very pained expression on her face. Later Brooke distanced herself from Michael when he started getting more and more weird. They hadn't seen or spoken to each other in yeras, but she spoke at his memorial service and lapped up the attention.
She was allowed to graduate from Princeton (not Yale, sorry for the mistake) despite not taking the math and science courses normally required for a degree. She was also accepted into Princeton despite low SAT scores. If you're rich and famous, you can go to any college you want and buy a degree.
- I meant 20, not 220.
Can you show me a source for Brooke getting away with not taking the required courses? And just how low were her scores?
- She was a hoot on "The Middle" this past season as an obnoxious neighbor.
- Thanks R132
- Brooke with Christie Brinkley.
- Brooke on Suddenly Susan was her in her element - light comedy.
She's like Candace Bergen - no great actress, but can pull off a certain flinty comic charm.
I did find Brooke's "Who Do You Think You Are" episode pretty interesting. Of all the famous people they'd profiled, she had some seriously prestigious lineage - she was a direct descendant of French royalty.
- This info is from the New York Times concerning the classes Shields took at Princeton:
"She took four courses in French language and five in French literature. She took eight courses in drama-related subjects: three in acting, three in cinema analysis, one in dance, one in contemporary English drama. These accounted for 59 percent of her classroom hours.
She took three semesters of ceramics (10 percent).
She took three courses in psychology - introduction to, abnormal and ''Theories of Psychotherapy'' (10 percent).
She had two other English courses - ''Women and the Novel'' and ''Victorian Children's Literature'' (7 percent).
The other courses, one semester each, were ''Philosophy and the Modern Mind,'' ''Comparative Family Systems'' (sociology), ''The Self in World Religions'' and ''History of Earth and Life'' (geology).
That education apparently contained no courses in classical studies (history, philosophy, literature of the ancient world), medieval history, modern history or American history; no hard science (physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy) requiring any kind of lab; no math; no anthropology; no economics; no political science or government; no basic sociology; no world literature; no American literature; no geography; not even computer literacy."
It seems very suspicious that she was allowed to graduate with NO math or science requirements. And THREE semesters of "ceramics?" No doubt she was allowed to graduate with such a soft curriculum because she was rich and famous.
I knew a girl who went to Princeton around the same time Shields did. She said it was common knowledge that Shields didn't make a big splash with her SATS but was accepted into Princeton anyway.
- R136 - "It seems very suspicious that she was allowed to graduate with NO math or science requirements. " Not proof - just feelings, and no link.
- [quote]It seems very suspicious that she was allowed to graduate with NO math or science requirements
I wonder if Prince Philip has something to do with the all-too-curious curriculum "requirements" at Princeton?
- Her SATs weren't low so much as they were lackluster for the Ivies -- I remember [italic]People[/italic] or somesuch reporting them as in the low 1200s. (Jodie Foster, OTOH, scored in the 1400s and got a perfect 800 on her SAT subject test in French.)
- "Not proof - just feelings, and no link.'"
Oh for craps sake, LOOK IT UP you idiot! I did; that's how I found out. Are you too stupid to search on the internet? You must be as dumb as Brooke Shields.
- R130, you are completely full of shit. She was NEVER Michael Jackson's girlfriend, no matter what your fantasies are.
She is very bright, having a higher IQ than Jodie Foster. She had to meet the same requirements as anyone else to graduate from Princeton. If she took fewer science or math courses, it is because she tested out of the courses required for her liberal arts major. She graduated with honors with her degree in French literature.
- I doubt Brooke's IQ is higher than Jodie's - that's not a slam in Brooke, but Jodie is a freakin genius.
- R137 is exactly why this site sucks now. Stupid, lazy, and a huge brown-nose stalker-fan.
Probably a straight cunt.
It's been awhile since we've thought about that quirky character on the box of our favorite childhood cereal, so we're grateful to Brooke Shields for taking us back to the '90s. We're just not sure Brooke is going to be so happy with the association...
Forgive us, but the Army Wives star practically looks like she's wearing a Count Chocula Halloween costume! Though, we'd recommend more of a widow's peak hair piece and some plastic fangs.
- Looking better than she has been.
- she should be on The View.
- She should.
- Leather becomes her.
- New hairstyle
- Love the leather dress.
- She's looking good for almost fifty.
- "Peace out! A smiling Brooke Shields, 49, looks youthful as she flips the two-fingered sign while shopping in New York's West Village"
"In August Brooke was named the latest celebrity collaborator for the MAC cosmetics brand and it's just 10 days until her two 'Icon' collections hit the stores.
Both tap into different sides of her personality, she told WWD: 'One was this really fresh-faced, cleaner, daytime look and the other was much more vampy with a big focus on the eyes, and I'm both of these things. I like the natural part of myself, and I like the sexier side, too.'
The result will be MAC's largest Icon collection to date with prices ranging from $17 for a clear brow gel - the star is famous for her distinctive thick eyebrows - to a 16-shade eyeshadow palette at $85.
For those keen to emulate those famous brows, there will also be a brow liner in a muted gray."
- I always liked her. For someone who's been in the public arena her whole life, considering her controlling mother and no dad and considering her breathtaking beauty everybody reminded her of her whole life, she's incredibly down to earth and normal.
There's a new book she wrote about herself and her mom coming out in November, I think.
- R153 - I did not know about the book. Thanks.
- r154 It's called "There Was a Little Girl: The Real Story of My Mother and Me" released Nov 18.
[quote]Actress and author of the New York Times bestseller Down Came the Rain, Brooke Shields, explores her relationship with her unforgettable mother, Teri, in her new memoir.
Brooke Shields never had what anyone would consider an ordinary life. She was raised by her Newark-tough single mom, Teri, a woman who loved the world of show business and was often a media sensation all by herself. Brooke's iconic modeling career began by chance when she was only eleven months old, and Teri's skills as both Brooke's mother and manager were formidable. But in private she was troubled and drinking heavily.
As Brooke became an adult the pair made choices and sacrifices that would affect their relationship forever. And when Brooke’s own daughters were born she found that her experience as a mother was shaped in every way by the woman who raised her. But despite the many ups and downs, Brooke was by Teri’s side when she died in 2012, a loving daughter until the end.
Only Brooke knows the truth of the remarkable, difficult, complicated woman who was her mother. And now, in an honest, open memoir about her life growing up, Brooke will reveal stories and feelings that are relatable to anyone who has been a mother or daughter.
I'll wait for reviews to decide if it's worth it.
- She looks really good lately.