- I want Thor to hammer me senseless.
- Yeah, me too! He''s also on the cover of Men''s Health magazine.
- Works as a heroic epic.\
Works as an action pic.\
Works as a historical fantasy.\
Works as jack off material.
Deeper Thor, deeeeper!!!
- I thought it opened in May?
- Happy Thorsday!
- OMG, a riot party for Thor already~~~
- Okay, R5, that was stupid, but I laughed.
- YAY!!! I''m so glad it''s good.%0D\
- I''m tho'' thor I can''t even pith!
- Now showing already in Australia. Liked and enjoyed it. Well directed by K Branagh surprisingly.
- None of those critics are heavy hitters, but even so this looks promising.
- Kenneth Branaugh works it HARDS
- Yay, more comic book movies. I can''t get enough of them!!!
- I hope you''re prepared for four of them, R13.
The Voice of the Night
- Critic Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs up!
- Verily, thine words bear joyous tidings!
Balder The Brave
- I thought that the trailer looked awful, but I became inclined to support it when I read that Idris Elba''s character is a figure from Norse mythology who is apparently a particular favorite of white supremacists
Kenneth Branagh, you delightful upper-lipless bitch
- On the bicep scale, I give it a 10!
- Honestly, I can''t wait to see this.%0D\
Iron Man was so good, and this is essentially by the same people, in the same universe.%0D\
- I''ll definitely be seeing this opening weekend.
- I''m so excited to see Rene Russo again!
The Rene Russo troll
- [quote]Iron Man was so good, and this is essentially by the same people, in the same universe.\
The "same people" are Marvel the actual comic book company.\
They were tired of Hollywood fucking up their characters so they formed their own production company.\
Now they can hire whoever they want to make their movies and nobody from Hollywood can interfere.\
They have an almost endless supply of stories that can be made into movies and they''ll be making sure they''re done right from now on.
- Sorry, won''t see it until I read Armond White''s review of the movie. If he pans it that means it''s no good.
- [quote]They were tired of Hollywood fucking up their characters so they formed their own production company.\
And they have the sense to consult with the writers of the comics on the film''s story. \
I doubt WB would ever give DC the license to control their comic book films like this. I don''t have much hope for Green Lantern or the Superman reboot.
- It''s actually gone up to 95%!
- Why is he so thor?\
Nice body. Pity about the speech impediment.
- I really enjoyed it.\
Granted, Chris Hemsworth''s biceps in that t-shirt, I couldn''t not have enjoyed it, but I don''t know that I was expecting the Asgardian stuff to work so well.\
The woman playing Sif stole the movie, and I may have as many fantasies about the dude playing Fandral as I do about Thor.
The Voice of the Night
- A.O. Scott was not impressed:
- I say all of my own lines!
Natalie Portman, Oscar Winner!!!
- Oh, Thor!
- I feel like between this and Fast Five, the critics have just thrown their hands up and effectively said, "OK, this is what they''re giving us now. Might as well smile and go along with it."\
I mean, THOR? Seriously?
- I saw it this afternoon. I was underwhelmed, and not in a good datalounge way. The story really wasn''t a grabber and they tried to incorporate wry humor like Iron Man and it just didn''t come off well at all. And Natalie was the worst ditzy, giggling rocket scientist since Denise Richards in that goofy Bond movie.\
Hemsworth is okay, but nothing out of the ordinary, except for his body, which is fantastic, but if you saw him bare-chested in the trailer you don''t need to see the movie because that''s the same amount of time he''s bare-chested in the movie.
- I def liked it, I would give it a B+/A(of course Thor and Fandall were fucking adorable!)
The thing is, though, that the kind-of-O.K. aspects of %E2%80%9CThor%E2%80%9D have the effect of making it more depressing, rather than less. The movie cannot be an interesting, appalling train wreck because it lacks the spoiled grandeur of ambition gone off the rails. You can%E2%80%99t sit and marvel (as it were) over what went wrong because nothing, at the level of execution, really has gone wrong. Mr. Branagh has not failed to make an interesting, lively, emotionally satisfying superhero movie, because there is no evidence that he (or the gaggle of credited screenwriters, or Paramount, the sponsoring studio) ever intended to make any such thing. On the contrary, the absolute and unbroken mediocrity of %E2%80%9CThor%E2%80%9D is evidence of its success. This movie is not distinctively bad, it is axiomatically bad.
And that is depressing. A howling turkey is at least something to laugh at, and maybe even something to see. But %E2%80%9CThor%E2%80%9D is an example of the programmed triumph of commercial calculation over imagination.
- I think movie was very weak. It looked like it was written and directed by newbies. Very... insignificant and zero emotinal involvement. Yeah, I know, it''s comics book, but it''s possible to make good movie out of comics.\
Saying that, I really liked Tom Hiddleston as Loki. He is stunning and good actor.
- Saw it today. I was a little disappointed. All flash and bang, not much substance and, as R36 said, no heart. I just didn''t care about the characters or their situation. Decent acting, but I expected more with Kenneth Branagh in the director''s chair.
- THOR rocked, dude! Chris Hemsworth is OFFICIAL!
- interesting that villains are so often played as effeminate men.
- [quote]interesting that villains are so often played as effeminate men.\
Well . . .
- LOL R30
- Jaimie Alexander plays Sif. Doesn''t she play Edie Falco''s sister-in-law on NURSE JACKIE?
- Saw Thor tonight and was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I actually thought there WAS quite a bit of emotional involvement - thanks to the familial chemistry between Hopkins, Hemsworth and Hiddleston. The climax was quite affecting, actually.%0D
I've always thought Branagh is a bombastically-inclined filmmaker and, for once, his bombastic style meshed with his Shakespearean origins. The fighting sequences were edited beyond visual comprehension, but other action sequences were terrific and he really went to town with Asgard - I'll be shocked if the movie isn't nominated for Art Direction and Costume Design.%0D
Agree with others that: a) having only ONE shirtless scene with Hemsworth is criminal; b) Natalie is almost as inept as Denise Richards playing a scientist (why didn't they just put Kat Dennings in the part rather than as the sidekick - she could play geeky well and having her be the love interest would be a nice twist); c) Josh Dallas, who plays Fandral, is cute, cute, cute!; and d) yes, the villain is effete, but Hiddleston is fantastic in the part.
- Thor was shirtless for only about 15 seconds. \
Lame movie. Cheesy effects.
- Well, the Rotten Tomatoes percentage is below 90% now... but it''s still a good movie.%0D\
I saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. A lot of fun.%0D\
Not as good as the first Iron Man movie, but definitely better than the second one.%0D\
Nice Iron Man cross-overs too, and nice teaser for The Avengers movie.%0D\
- I heard Tom Hiddleston is gay - any rumours?
- I totally missed any crossover between this movie and Iron Man, also missed the Avengers plug... care to steer me right?%0D\
- Is this the new TH thread or can someone link me to the correct one?
- There's this one but it's not exclusively about TH. Someone needs to make one about him
- It's down to average 6.2 by critics on a scale of 10, and 86% liking it (4.1 out of 5 average.) We'll see where it ends up.
- The flick opened up in Australia first, and Aussies did not want to smash a movie with Hemsworth as a lead.
The second has 66% positive rating.
Not that RT means anything, but IMHO the first was pretty generic.
- I guess we could use this to comment on TH only.
- Financially, it's doing ok.... $240,900,000 foreign + US opening weekend of $86,109,000 for a total so far of $327,009,000. Hasn't opened in all markets yet and still most of the US run to go. Chances are it'll make more than Thor 1. Critically, it ain't doing so well, but I guess at the end of the day all Marvel care about is the $$$$$$.
- F&F for r54.
- R56 F&F?
- Yeah, when you agree with what someone has said or think it's clever you click the "ff" button on the top right of their post. It's like the 'like' button on Facebook. I use it a lot in these TH threads lol!
- Why does everyone keep saying Branagh directed? Alan Taylor is the one...
- Dear God....
- I guess tumblr girls are doing promo tour too...but it made me laugh.
Wish I could find the video to this gif to be sure if he actually said that or the subtext is made up.
He never said that. It is complete fiction.
Fangirls of his are idiots who believe anything on Tumblr. LOL, he is not Prince Charming.
- Flames & freaks R57.
R58 now don't be naughty
- Are we back here now?
- Since the other thread is blocked. I don't know if that threads OP wants to start another one.
But before this thread gets blocked too, I found this other anonymous board where there's a TH thread. Maybe we could continue over there.
- And what the hell happened this time? Something interesting was posted, maybe?
- I'm the OP who started the last thread at the request of the other posters. I was on last night there were about 227 posts. There's one poster who gets on and repeatedly calls foul names and a couple of people told him to chill and said it was uncalled for -- nothing terrible and people were complaining that trolls were invading. I just logged on and saw that the thread was blocked. I can only speculate that 1)More trolls came in and 2) Someone complained and the mods shut it down.
Honestly, I am in the dark as to the actual process of how the Mods decide to shut down a thread or how one of the posters goes about getting a thread shut down since it occurs without warning.
I'm also at a loss as to why the Hiddleston threads get shut down on a regular basis.
Any new TH thread would have to be self-regulated in terms of content which means not responding to baiting by the Hiddleston bashers. What does everyone think?
- Not sure why that thread was locked when the one before it was allowed to max out.
We had ignored the troll most of the time anyway.
Is this the new thread or are you going to make another one? There wasn't even any gossip in the old one but maybe keep the publicist who I won't name to a minimum. I've noticed the threads that mention him get locked quickly. Thought?
- The last time I was on, there were around 235 posts, so I have no idea what happened next. Maybe someone who saw the rest 20 posts will be kind enough to enlighten us.
I still believe there is someone who has lots of spare time, buckets of venom to spit and nothing better to do, so they come to TH threads, weep and shut them down. Is it possible to ask the Mods to explain why they shut down threads without warning? Actually the more threads they shut down, the more reasons we have to complain.
And I agree we must continue to ignore these ridiculous weeps.
- These people really have issues. ANOTHER thread closed?What is this? A paying member started the thread and now it's closed and we are beyond the point where anyone can BS me into thinking it's not TH related.
- That thread about Post Brit Actors was a good thread, it was hardly all about TH, it had some good tangential discussions about US vs UK acting talent and the UK theater scene. In fact the majority of it wasn't about TH at all.
I'm certainly no TH fan but I participated in that thread for the general discussion. I'm emailing the WM (not that he/she will listen) to lodge my concern about the thread deletions here, it's getting out of hand.
- I didn't see the last posts either, just came back and it was locked.
I suppose it reached new levels of trolldom from the person who just can't let go.
- What happened in the thread last night, was there a troll invasion? I wasn't online last night. The thread was fine as of yesterday morning.
If we cant even have a basic thread on UK actors that merely -mentions- TH without it getting blocked, we have a problem here.
- Very kind of you, R71, thanks.
- Maybe you people should take the hint and find another board to squat at. You're not wanted here; and please take those Renner loonies with you. Don't act like you don't know why your threads are closed. You're all deranged.
- Do you sit on DL all day waiting for any mentions of TH?
- And “not wanted” by whom? By you, R75? Present your valid reasons, genius.
- Because these cheesy losers aren't worth it, R77
- R75 You need to find a neighbor to yell at or start yoga to relax yourself because you spend way too much time looking for a chance to complain.
Or did Tommy do something to you and now you're just frustrated ? If so, do share, we like our tea nice and warm.
Waaaaait, Jane, dat you gurl? Come give us a cuddle!
- By the lack of name calling, I'm starting to think it really was our buddy Jane.
Why'd you run away before we could cuddle?
- R80 There was some name calling but it was mainly done by one poster and I'll leave it at that. No idea what was said in the last 20 or 30 posts to get the thread closed but I agree it was a pretty broad thread with a lot of good, respectful discussion.
- Was fun to read. Sarcasm.
- What is TH back with JA? our is that fangirl BS?
- Link, R83?
- R84 no that was a question to R79 and R80. I thought he was single and enjoying the benefits of fame. Was just wondering if they had evidence
- Last thread didn't get closed because we called TH Mr B was it? Because that name was always used in a jokey way and to tell the difference between him and Hardy. Nobody was nasty to him. I did hear C-man came back though but he's just .....
- What? So when there is a national disaster these girls sit back and wait for Tom to tweet his obligatory Unicef message.
And when he can't be bothered, the girls make sure to let publicist know about it.
- Who is C-man? Where exactly did he come back?
- R88 is basically a person who comes on threads calls people the C names a few times and leaves. I've noticed he's starting to appear on the TH threads and was wondering if that's the connection with some being closed down
- R88 just read my last post. It sounds like I'm accusing you of being the C-man. I'm not. I'm answering your question. Lol
- Thanks for your explanation, R89.
- No, it’s OK, R90, I understood. :)
- Looks like TH will be at a couple award shows, one this Sunday, then the following.
- Here's the other link, London Evening Standard Theatre Awards this Sunday.
- Why is a gay site blocking straight girls from hijacking threads to fangirl about shit that is irrelevant to a gay audience?? Whhhhyyyyy?? Oh if only there was a clue in the website description! If only many, many regulars would step in and give us a hint! It's a mystery for the ages, I tells ya!
- Why not just move all the TH discussion over to LSA? It never goes over well here on DL.
- R96 because LSA, or ONTD or CB aren't anonymous.
R82 that's quite the coincidence.
R94 He is presenting an award, but even if he wasn't asked to he would probably have gone anyway. R93 He will be singing?
- R97 who told him he could sing that's what I want to know, by his own admission he says he sings badly. TH could of danced or read a Shakespeare monologue -things he's good at.
- "I guess we could use this to comment on TH only."
Goddamit, can't you fangirls come up with $18 between the lot of you and start your own fucking threads?
Some of us would actually like to discuss this movie, if we can get a goddamn word in edgewise.
- CB begins to get tired of MrB too. Even his most ardent fans get that he's selling them a "public personality" (even if in private he must be a wonderful boyfriend, of course).
And lol at the unicef tweet, he rather should give them money or some of his time.
Wait, no, giving time isn't a good idea. He would be able to speak about Loki or Coronalius and do his promotion: me, me, me, I, I, me, etc.
- R99 You don't say! One nice member of DL did, but you trolls invaded it and it's now blocked.
[quote] Some of us would actually like to discuss this movie, if we can get a goddamn word in edgewise.
lol. This thread about Thor 1st movie has been inactive for 2 years. All of a sudden you want to discuss it, sure.
- SWF from the other thread here. I've now seen Thor II. I took the rugrats, who think Chris Hemsworth is the guy to be.
It was truly horrendous. No plot. No cohesion. Made by numbers.
Since we like to concentrate on TH in these threads - he was ok. Hardly a shining light, but at least one could see he was playing the part of an ironic, scenery-chewing, pantomimish villain. Not that his character had consistent motivation or anything like that - but you can't do much about the writing if it's that awful.
There were lots of funny lines, but they were random, no linking of thought or character or, well, anything.
- R100 he only tweeted that because a stan moaned to his PR that he didn't. I'm quite suprised he took that long and didn't do it all on his own because he's such a fan of their work. I'm also guessing that PR also sent him that report to read and RT too. Not that I think he read it properly because it was about 20 mins between the stan to send the email and for him to tweet it.
- If he didn't tweet about it spontaneously, perhaps that means he isn't such a fan of their work.
The images were everywhere, if he had a real concern about Unicef and their work, he wouldn't have wait until a fan reminds him to tweet.
- R99 Sure you want to discuss a 2011 movie. In case you've forgotten the previous TH thread was started by a paying member.
- R83 Oh I just said the troll was JA for the heck of it,but it seems to have shut throlley up :)
- R82 Oh Lord no,who does that! And Luke...If he actually had him do it,ffs!
- Nice work R106 I hope we don't have to hear from/about that strange woman again. TH got over her quite quickly by the sounds of it and so should some others.
R107 that name is jinxed here lol
- Did someone say that Chris Hemsworth is gay?
That would be some news.
- R102 Your post echoes what everyone seems to be saying about Thor 2 TDW: lots of jokes very little plot and Hiddleston's Loki along with Stellan Skarskard's Erik Selvig and the two interns Darcy and Ian are the best actors in it.
This was definitely a case of two many cooks spoil the broth with a mishmashed plot and numerous rewrites. Diehard Marvel franchise and Thor fans are ticked that the movie was slashed to less than two hours so that they could get it shown in more theatres. They left a lot of the bits that were shown in the trailers on the cutting room floor, sacrificing continuity and motivation in the process. Many are now asking for Marvel to release a Director's cut.
But even with its well documented flaws and plot holes, Thor 2 is expected to pass the entire $449M box office gross of the original Thor -- this weekend. Sooo, Marvel/Disney will almost certainly greenlight a Thor 3. But that probably won't hit theaters until 2016.
- I love Thor!
- Obviously , the problem is that there wasn't enough Fandral.
- Marvel does loads of money with shitty movies because Marvel dumb fanboys and fangirls act like they're the best movies in the world whereas Marvel doesn't give a fuck about quality as long as they can sell toys to 8 years old.
And the fanwar between DC and Marvel comics is the dumbest thing on earth cause both suck.
- I'd give my left nut to see what you psycho British frau look like.
- Better looking than you I bet luv
- Everyone in Thor whispers apart from CH and Sif
- I like the informed take here. The first Thor was a chore, the second Thor seems a bore.
What is the consensus on Guardians of The Galaxy? I'd like more of an authorial voice from the director of a Marvel movie. The concept of 'world generating' across movies doesn't work if the world they are generating is half-baked, psychologically uninteresting, loud, dissonant cookie-cutter crap. Maybe James Gunn will establish a funkier, more creative tone?
- The second Thor used too much Loki. He didn't really have a purpose and I have yet to see fun mischief
- Jaimie Alexander's ear raping Asgardian-British accent. I have nothing else to say.
- r119 true dat!, it was a traumatizing piece of accent
- R119 R120 I thought she was Aussie. Have they changed the fandral in Thor 2? Because I preferred him before
- R121 Don't know what she is,but clearly not british.
And yeah, there's a new ...blond guy. It's Zachary Levi,isn't it? I did wonder what part he had in the movie and why I hadn't seen him before,but it does seem he's the new one
- R121 yes, Zachary Levi is Fandral this time around. Apparently they wanted him for the first movie but he had some other obligation. Josh Dallas, the original Fandral, wasn't available for the sequel so they went back to Levi.
- I preferred JD as Fandral, ZL isn't as good but I supposed JD went on to bigger and brighter things. Shame that now only leaves CH as the only hotty in the movie now
- I thought Zachary Levi did a decent job as Fandral. But the Warriors Three and Sif didn't get much screen time in this movie. I liked Josh Dallas' portrayal as well in the original; he got a chance to develop the character a lot more.
- Another American movie with nothing other than Brits or those from the Commonweath or another place I won't mention portraying all characters.
- R126 If we're still talking about Thor 2, let's go through the cast list... I'll leave out the nationalities you mentioned.
Natalie Portman: Israeli, raised in the US
Jaimie Alexander: American
Zachary Levi: American
Tadanobu Asano: Japanese
Rene Russo: American
Kat Dennings: American
- Some information about his maternal grandfather.
- R128 = moron. Jesus. It's not rocket science to post a fucking link.
- Saw Thor 2 today. It probably was exactly what I needed as the past few days have been very difficult professionally and personally, but this movie was an absolute joy to watch -- stylish, exciting, witty, smart -- heck, I even got teary-eyed a couple of times. Wonderful movie, much, much better than the first one.
- Liked the movie, but I'm really sick of the bullshit "gay panic" crap in super-hero movies. The two main elves touching foreheads tenderly after the transformative stabbing...that was completely unnecessary. And complete bullshit. There was no need for any suggestion they might be gay.
- So, r128, exactly how far back are you intending to stalk his family? Did you get tired of rabidly hitting 'refresh' on Jane Arthy's Twitter account?
- I thought Levi was a better Fandral, I think he fit the flamboyant Lothario archetype better, but the Warriors and Sif were barely in this one, so it's hard to make a solid comparison. The biggest thing against Levi was that he looked awful blonde. He does not have the skin tone for it.
And Levi was the original first choice for Fandral, but had to drop out of the first one due to commitments to his tv show. Dallas replaced him, and then Dallas had to drop out of the second film due to commitments to his tv show as well.
- So far, it's made a shit-load at the box-office:
- Am I the only one here who thinks Thor 2 was pretty "meh" ? I mean it had really good elements taken separately but they didn't really come together at all.
I did like that intern kid yelling like a woman though
- R135 - no, not the only one. It's enjoyable, but considering the money and the talent Marvel have at their disposal I feel they slightly missed the boat - it could have been a LOT better. The humor was good, but the editing was terrible, the plot just so-so. I'm hanging out for a director's cut.
- Thor 2 has been knocked off the top spots in both UsA and UK. I've heard people don't like it as much as the first. Second outings usually initially do well because its the people who liked the first one want to see how the story pans out. CH though did a better job than TH in both movies imoh
- Can someone repost the link for R128 I'm just interested on what's about.
R132 it's your fault for not advising properly which is why the people go to the strange ones twitter. Anyway shouldn't you be finding new dance moves for TH to do tonight at the awards bash? Go away
- [quote] it's your fault for not advising properly which is why the people go to the strange ones twitter.
I'm assuming, when you say "strange ones twitter", you mean Jane Arthy, noted publicist and recipient of Tom Hiddleston's sperm? As if you don't have her Twitter bookmarked and get notifications sent to your phone.
Stalk on, freaky bitches, stalk on.
- R139 I don't look at her twitter. The links that people put on here tells me she stalks him . He fucked a fan. So what? He's not fucking her anymore probably due to this fact which he found out.
Or is because YOU are jealous? Can't convince him to turn eh?
- Presumably, Hemsworth is crossing everything that Thor II stalls at under $500m gross so that he doesn't have to do Thor III, while Hiddleston is crossing everything that it passes $600m so that he will get cast in something in 2014.
- [quote] I don't look at her twitter.
Of course you don't stalk Jane Arthy's Twitter, desperate to know Tom Hiddleston's every move. And I'm sure you want to read an article about Tom Hiddleston's grandfather just because you're interested in the time period and not because it's, you know, Tom Hiddleston's grandfather. You make such a strong case it's surprising anyone could mistake you for a stalker!
- Oh the gay and fabulous Luke Windsor, my love for you runs deep and strong.
- R138 you simply need to had "ht" to the address posted.
- R142 I'm bloody nosy that's all. I would prefer CH but TH is a good substitute
R143 now you're getting fucking desperate.
- [quote] I'm bloody nosy that's all.
Just curious, but how far back into Tom Hiddleston's family tree do you stop being nosey and start being a stalker? Great Great Grandmother? Fourth cousin? Where, exactly, do you draw that line?
Perhaps you should look into whether psychiatric help is available on the National Health. That would be something worthy of being nosey about.
Dear Jane Arthy, noted publicist and recipient of Tom Hiddleston's sperm, use condoms next time. I'm on to you and we have prepared for the inevitable paternity test.
- Whether or not the article about TH grandfather passing away might be considered stalking (though since it's in the newspaper it's public knowledge) it tells you theatre runs in the family.
Here TH reading in ancient Greek (I don't think he speaks modern Greek)
- Correct me if I don't remember well, but somebody wrote in the other thread that between production and marketing the budget for Thor2 was around 300$ million, so for now they are merely breaking even.
- Who gives a fuck?
I can read greek ancient too. It's not rare or anything.
- R146 don't accuse my mummy of lying! You've caught me out. Stalking runs in my blood
- R149 if you don't give a fuck don't answer, moron. I wrote it because I'm multilingual but Greek isn't one of the languages I speak and I wasn't sure if it was ancient Greek or modern, since there's a difference, but of course you knew that.
- TH did classics. It's classical (ancient) Greek. And Latin. This is a common option in UK public (private) schools and some grammar schools.
- R150 be calm sweet child of mine, I'll steal the used condoms if I need to. MUST RECEIVE THE SPERM.
- I studied ancient greek so I know the difference, dumby.
Your rainbow unicorn and you are just not special snowflakes.
- One day he's going to run out of cutesy tricks and will whip out his cock in panic and make a hammer joke lest he loses the spotlight. That is the day I'm living for.
- Meh, who the hell cares about Jane Arthy?
- R154 Who said it made him, or you, special? Next time merely write it's ancient greek not modern. That was the only purpose of the post.
- R156 nobody, since she became irrelevant 4 months ago, but apparently R153 and R146 are in love with their lack of sense of humour.
- R153 daddy is loaded and nasty uncle Luke wants it all for himself. That's why he's being so mean!
- [quote]Meh, who the hell cares about Jane Arthy?
The people who care about Jane Arthy, r156, are all the stalkers who track her every move on Twitter and then rush over here to inform the rest of you like a mother bird vomiting into the mouths of her brood. Don't pretend you don't guzzle it down like your sisters.
- R158 oh get over yourself.
- She barely even gets mentioned on here apart from the troll who won't let it go.
- I'm actually wondering how long this thread is going to last until it gets shut down.
- [quote]I'm actually wondering how long this thread is going to last until it gets shut down.
Surely not! Whoever would do such a reprehensible thing? And for what reason?
I shall get Benedict Cumberbatch, good friend and past castmate of Tom Hiddleston, on the case. He will get to the bottom of this mystery!
- I'd just want to state my gratitude to The gay and fabulous Luke Windsor for existing, that's all.
- R152 Every single italian kid studying humanities speaks and reads greek. It's only spectacular in the UK
- Ancient greek and latin. What he studied at cambridge university. So simple
- [quote] R148 Correct me if I don't remember well, but somebody wrote in the other thread that between production and marketing the budget for Thor2 was around 300$ million, so for now they are merely breaking even.[quote]
The production budget for Thor 2 TDW was about $200M. Generally the studios like to see a movie gross 2x to 3x what it cost to make to consider it a success. The first Thor grossed $449M worldwide. Thor 2 is expected to surpass that this weekend, after which it will be knocked off the top spot by the second installment of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire which is expected to be massive a la The Avengers.
Thor 2 is already a success and it hasn't even gone to DVD/Blu-Ray or cable yet which will also count towards bottom line revenue. It could reach $600M in revenue when all is said and done. So it's not the $1.5B of The Avengers -- but no one expected it to be. I'm not sure how the studios account for the marketing. But yes, the marketing for Thor 2 was a whopping $100M which is ironic since most of it was TV, online and print ads and flying Tom Hiddleston around the world to sing, dance and give piggyback rides to fans. CH only showed up for the last week of premieres.
- Tommy has arrived at the ES awards. I wonder what's he going to dance for tonight?
- those abs are so... unexpected!
- As of yesterday, Thor 2 had done >$38M at the US box office. According to Forbes, its worldwide revenue is now at $479M
R170 why so surprised at the abs? All of TH's roles over the past three years have been very physical and required him to be in peak condition.
- I saw this last night. I could not even follow the story it was so convoluted. The characters are fun, but this was the worst Marvel film I have ever seen.
- R171 you're absolutely right and I really don't know, I guess I just assumed he was lanky & scrawny. Definitely did not expect those abs. Those abs totally came out of the blue.
- R170, R173 TH had a LOT of fight scenes in both Thor movies as well as The Avengers and the three Hollow Crown installments and he does most of his own stunts.
Steven Spielberg sent a lot of the principal cast to six weeks of riding boot camp for War Horse two or three years back. As someone who owns horses and rides regularly, I can tell you that riding does help strengthen and build abs. Hiddleston continued to ride for the Hollow Crown series He said in one recent interview, that he's never been fitter. He's And now we have photographic proof, LOL!
- You do realise this was filmed over a year ago just after Thor 2? Of course he was going to be fitter but that was THEN. He looks terrible now even for a naturally skinny person
- R175 Yes, of course, but he's continued to work out for Coriolanus, which calls for sword fights and he's also a runner. He looked fine in the Coriolanus promotional photos prior to the PR tour for Thor 2. Hopefully, he can put back on a few pounds in the next couple of weeks before it opens.
I do agree that his face has aged quite a bit in the last 2 to 3 years.
- Again that was months ago. He needs to bulk up again. I've noticed his hair this thinning more around the temples again
- This made me laugh. Loki vs Fandral.
- R170 HOT.
- Anyone have an animated GIF of those few moments of Thor's shirtless scene? That was so fucking hot...
- Does he now put "presenter of awards to other people, autograph signer, poser of pictures and panderer extraordinaire" on his CV?
'Cause that's actually what he does for a living...
- He's an expert at presenting awards now! Shame he never wins them. Or gets nominated.
He always gets allocated the shitty awards that nobody cares about and gets cut out of the broadcast like best choreography.
- one gif that sums up poor Thomas' life.
- What I love about that video is how Ben is just playing around and Tom very firmly grabs him and shoves him back over so he doesn't block Tom's pretty face.
- Looking a little orange here.
I noticed Lawrence Fox and Billie Piper attended; after what he said about TH, there could be some awkwardness.
- I know people have said that TH is very fan friendly but Zachary Levi also seems very fan friendly. I wonder if he becomes more of a star if his fans will start to be too much also, like TH's. Zachary seems to exude that 'regular guy' vibe like TH as well.
- Zachary is also a right-wing uber-Christian...
- He's never talked about politics as far as I can find. And he actually declined being labeled as religious in one of his Thor interviews. He still has faith, but he's separated from his freeper parents' influence, or so it seems.
But I admit to being the Zachary Levi version of a Hiddlestroll.
- Why the hell are the people on DL obsessed with the crappy Thor movies?
- [quote]Why the hell are the people on DL obsessed with the crappy Thor movies?
Dataloungers are decidedly NOT obsessed with Thor movies or their star, the talented and handsome Tom Hiddleston. Tom Hiddleston, star of War Horse and Midnight in Paris, appeals to young girls and middle aged women and it is the latter who have invaded Datalounge looking to get away from the young fangirls. Not technologically savvy enough to start their own forums and too impoverished to become members here they are forced to hijack existing threads tangentially related to the award winning Tom Hiddleston, 32, to continue their stalking.
It's sad, but it there's no fool like an old fool and no such thing as bad press.
- Because they're not 'crappy'. They're a lot of fun. Very entertaining, visually beautiful, and rather well made.
- I thought the star was Chris Hemsworth
- Nice try, Chris.
- r189, while the first film was pretty blah, this second film is actually quite fantastic, an epic adventure that's smart, witty, stylish, emotionally involving and grandly entertaining. I've seen 60+ movies this year -- not just Hollywood blockbusters, but indie flicks, foreign films, etc. -- and I think Thor: The Dark World is genuinely one of the best of the year. It's certainly the best of the Marvel Comic Book movies made so far.
- I liked it better than the first Thor, but not as much as Iron Man 3 and certainly not as much as the Avengers. Probably when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out and I see all the deleted scenes I'll go on a ten minute long tirade about how much better the movie would have been if they hadn't trimmed it down... but we'll see. I did really enjoy it, though.
- I find calling Hiddleston the "star" or War Horse and Midnight in Paris to be a pretty massive exaggeration.
Thor 2 was good, but not great. Unfortunately, it's probably the worst MCU movie to date, other than maybe Iron Man 2. Maybe they just can't do sequels.
- Thor 2 was better than Thor 1... there's no way I can imagine anyone can justify calling it the worst of the Marvel movies so far.
- We still have Captain America 2 and the Guardians of the Galaxy coming up next year. Cap 2 looks good.
- R181 R182 how true how true. TH could never carry a lead role on his own. He's not that kind of actor. he had a small part in war horse - BC had same film time but he doesn't feel the need to remind everybody he was in it ALL the time. Midnight in Paris he didn't even have a main role. I'm perplex why people call him the star of them
- I think one of Hiddleston biggest flaw is that he always looking back at his "glorious" career and doesn't project himself in the future.
He's always speaking Loki, WarHorse, Midnight in Paris etc. About how they were great "shakespearian" roles.
It's a big difference between him and other actors. If you take BC, once he finished promotion he stops speaking about his past movies and speaks about his future roles.
If he doesn't get the roles that he wants, he does short movies to prove that he can do other characters. The guy really works his ass off, that's how he gets new roles.
I think Hiddleston isn't that ambitious or maybe he's just lazy. He must think it's ok to be Loki all his life as long as fans sing his name and kneel.
- TH has talked a bit about his role in the upcoming movie Crimson Peak. I don't think TH is as much a planner as BC is.
- R201 plus BC has had a lot more to talk about than TH at the moment.
- You can't talk about upcoming roles if you don't have any.
- Some of his would have been roles seemed to get put on hold or cancelled, so it may not be a good idea to speak about stuff too soon. He may jinx it. Lol
- In an other hand, if you don't have anything new to say you can just shut up and try to get new roles.
Do you seriously think the guy hasn't been auditioning?
As I have said before - the only real question with this guy is why he isn't getting cast. It certainly ISN'T for lack of effort.
- It's a fierce competition, auditionning isn't good enough. You have to "sell yourself" to directors and producers. You have to befriend directors and producers, not other actors cause they won't help you.
Once you have work with a director, this one must speak about you to other directors or producers. He must want to work with you again. If he was really that good Spielberg could have push him like he pushed Cumberbatch.
For the time being he just managed to do that with Brannagh, good actor but shitty director.
- I think TH does everything he can do - including selling himself to studios and directors.
The roles he has got since Avengers have mostly been because someone else has dropped out.
I think he - and his die hard fans - need to accept that he is viewed as good but nothing special; a second choice actor.
He wants to be a film star more than he wants to be an actor, this much seems clear. He would probably have more success if he stopped eschewing TV roles.
- I believe he has been chatting up directors. I hope something does pop up soon because it seems after Crimson Peak shoot ends in May, he doesn't have anything going on.
- R208 Has he been offered any TV roles. Even BC went back to Sherlock even though he had a lot going on. I wouldn't mind seeing TH as a guest on something like Doctor Who.
I'm talking about getting involved in decent projects not showing up to do yet more scenery chewing on Doctor Who - I follow what British actors are doing and, for example, last year has seen a couple of seasons of high quality one act plays financed by Sky. Anyone who's anyone well thought of in the UK was involved - Idris Elba directed one, for example.
I would say that TH has failed to establish range. These sorts of things extend that and build up a decent CV (his is light).
Instead, he has been involved in fan-pandering quick jobs like that shamefully twee Love Book poetry app. Wrong choices.
- There's a lot of good tv shows where he could be a guest star.
- R209 of course he will. BC will no doubt have to drop out of something or Fassbender might not like a script. However TH has more competition now that Charlie H and Jamie D popularity is growing.
What stands out is that BC, Fassbender, Hardy and Charlie H just get on with it. The rely on their acting to get roles and it shows. Cavile and Jamie D have/are in a similar boat to TH where they kept getting overlooked but now they are getting the roles where else TH is getting the crumbs.
TH is obviously doing something wrong in the audition room. Might have something to do with the ego being brought in. That's all I can think of. He's a good enough actor to at least get something
- I think he could pull off comedy. I just don't think he is being offered those types of movie roles though. He did it fine in Suburban Shootout.
- R209 I hope that's the reason why he accepts to present awards all the time, to have a chance to talk with the right people.
Why doesn't he get more jobs? Good question, all the directors he worked with spoke highly of him. Critics speak highly of him. Producers should be at least happy to see an actor willing to promote the movie so much. Maybe he comes off as diligent and good but not somebody with strong personality?
- Jamie D can have that Fifty Shades of Crap role. Caville has coventional good looks so that helps him out with roles. I don't know if TH's problem is his ego or him just being really picky.
- He's not good enough an actor to makes the difference, compared to Fassbender, Hardy and Cumberbatch.
And he's not good looking enough to be the typical leading man. Cavill and Dorman could be shitty actors but no one can deny they're handsome.
He could do more indie movies but there's already Winshaw and Murphy.
The guy is doomed. He could try to have the same career than Tennant, who is a very good and respected tv actor.
- Directors can speak highly of him but that doesn't prove anything. You'll never see a director saying his actors are bad or dumb.
Critics can love him but that doesn't help much.
He also seems easy to work with, so his "twee" personality shouldn't be a problem.
- I think I know what his problem might be. In recent interviews he keeps saying he had the idea of Loki doing this and that, which is fine when the writer and director ASK you for it.
I think TH initially gets the roles but then gets dropped because of his over enthusiasm. Writers, Directors and producers sometimes ask the actors for inputs but as we all know, TH likes to go overboard to the point of unintentionally annoying, which might be putting them off.
- R218 as you said before "You have to "sell yourself" to directors and producers" so having directors you worked with saying nice stuff about you might help with other directors and producers, same with critics praising you even in a mediocre movie like Thor2.
- R219 that might be it, Alan Taylor said something like that about TH, like Hiddleston had plenty of ideas for Thor2 to the point that he had to be stopped so they can actually decide what to do.
- It could be TH is getting offered roles that are too similar (Loki-esque) to what he's done. He should do TV if the role is decent; a lot of actors move between the two.
- Maybe Alan Taylor should have listened to him. It may have actually turned out better.
- Directors must say you're good to other directors, not to the press. It's a fact, directors recommand actors to other directors. That's how you get jobs.
And it's easy to get praised when you're acting with CH or 'I don't want to be here' Portman. He's a good Loki cause it's the only interesting character and the character fit his acting qualities.
It's harder when you're surrounded by great actors. You're not a special snowflake anymore.
- Maybe Feige should have listened to him.
- TH has said he would like to write and direct one day.
- Writing and directing his own movies could be a good solution.
If he can't even get himself cast as an actor, in what world do you think he could get financing to write and direct?!
- Maybe he can direct Thor 3. Surely he can't do a worst job than the other ones. Lol
- You don't need money to write. You can do a short movie to prove you can direct, then a small movie etc. That's how people do, there's no miracle.
Of course if you want to do a big movie for your first attempt, you're doomed.
- He certainly can't direct Thor 3, Marvel is not that stupid.
Directing is a real job, not only a vanity project for jobless actor.
- You don't think you need money for a short?
Cumberbatch crowd funded his short from fans. That was poorly received in many quarters, but at least the guy has work coming out of his ears so it wasn't seen as a desperation move. Surely you don't think this is a wise move for TH, who has absolutely NOTHING else going on?
- I thought I read somewhere that that was what he was going to do. Write and do something small first.
- He has money and he could do crowdfunding with no problem. If Cumberbatch could do it for his short movie, TH can do it too. Many Hiddlestoners would give an eye to please him.
And it's a wise move for any actor. It would show that he's willing to do more, to explore new things. As long as he doesn't do some weird crap I don't see how it could hurt him.
At least he could speak about something new and really interesting.
- TH could easily loose Loki. I don't think Loki is a strong enough character to hold his own movie, not many villains are. But I can see Loki mini series on Tv however I don't think they'd cast TH as him. It would be someone new and younger who would give Loki a different portrayal.
Here's the thing, the new Loki would probably be then cast into Thor 3. I don't think CH would hang around for that long, so there would be a new Thor as well.
Stand can be fickle. TH needs to loose Loki.
- If someone else was cast as Loki there would be an angry outcry more than likely. A lot of the ones who have seen Thor 2 more than once have been the female fans. They are already asking for more Loki screentime.
- R214 he certainly wants to, he said he has been sending "subliminal messages" in that sense, except that while the resume says he's 32, he looks 42 and a young love comedy wouldn't suit him.
- I found it funny when he described himself as having a 'ruddy complexion' he's not got a ruddy complexion - he is orange because he doesn't use the right foundation. Idiot boy.
I've noticed The Gay and Fabulous Luke Windsor wasn't getting in the way at the award last night but I think that was due to the fact he was busy with Irvine and Swift
- Anything can happen till 2016 and R235 is right, I doubt CH will stick around Thor for so long. If they can talk about another actor for Iron Man, replacing Loki and Thor won't be much of a problem. They don't need to tell it now to the fangirls and in 3 years time there'll be a new generation to appeal to.
- Hugh Grant got cast in a few romantic comedies back in the day and look at him. I think TH has a bit more better look than he does.
- R238 TH uses that Clinique bronzer in their mens line. Someone needs to take it away from him.
- Well what I have hated about DC is that they keep switching out the actors. How many Batmans is there going to be? They are planning 3 Avengers movies from what I understand. I don't think they will be as good if they switch out the actors for the main rolls mid trilogy.
- Does he smoke?
- R243 No, as far as I know he doesn't.
- As he's busy with the play and film in feb, I'm guessing all this promotion is for not going to the baftas although why he goes its beyond me. He's only been nominated once
- Sooo, did no one else hate that homophobic bit with the villains?
- Maybe he could he a decent theatre actor
- It's a real mystery as to why he isn't getting more roles. He is a very capable actor whether he's part of an ensemble cast like War Horse and Midnight in Paris or as one of the leads as he was in the Hollow Crown. And say what you will about Loki being a cartoon villain, but Hiddleston was way better than Hemsworth's Thor.
Hemsworth gets cast for his beefcake good looks and his acting has improved a bit. And he's lucky because Ron Howard seems to like him. Even though Rush flopped at the box office, Howard cast CH in Heart of the Sea which is filming now. TH does have the misfortune to be in the same age group as a group of higher profile and arguably more talented actors like Fassbender, Cumberbatch, Hardy etc. so that he's the guy the directors call when those guys drop out.
Even actors like Jonathan Rhys-Meyers with well known substance abuse problems are finding work.
Hiddleston could do himself a big favor and stop making those ridiculous Loki-d videos with MTV's Josh Horowitz; he comes across as a buffoon.
- R247 I've heard he used to be really good but I've also read he only trained as an actor to get into the movie side. I don't think he'd just want theatre even if it seems the only option at the moment
He could make a fine ompa lumpa
Rush did not flop. It's at $90m with some more foreign money to update. It will return 3x production budget. There is a world outside the US you know.
- R248 This reasoning doesn't make sense.
You can't tell me CH is working again with Howard out of sheer luck, while TH is so unlucky because only he faces competition by his peers.
If Howard wanted CH again, he must have done a good job for Rush. CH also faces competition, he is hardly the only good-looking guy in Hollywood who can act.
Rush was a fiasco? When? The movie was ever meant to be a blockbuster, but it still did twice its budget, at the moment, and will probably do more.
- Hemsworth is a beefcake and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is way hotter, his problems give him publicity as a bad boy.
One of his problem is that he can't built up like other actors. He's a bit like Whishaw, but Whishaw is better.
- R251 What I said was, it's a mystery to me why Hiddleston isn't getting more work because he does have talent. He also has a reputation for being easy to work with, showing up on time, knowing his lines and getting along with other actors.
Hemsworth got most of his parts before Rush because of his physical good looks. He did get good reviews for Rush and his acting has improved. Yes, Rush has made $90M and 3x its production budget and did better in Europe than the US but it's not a huge hit. Still, Hemsworth's acting isn't in the league of Fassbender or even Hiddleston. Ron Howard obviously likes him and hence cast him in Heart of the Sea. Continued collaborations with Howard can really boost CH's career.
My point is that all the actors in Hiddleston's age group are scoring more work than he is. He'd better come up with a new plan to get parts in 2014 maybe switch back to his old management firm or find a director he can latch onto who will cast him in a lot of his movies like Howard is doing with Hemsworth.
- R253 Being easy to work with, showing up on time, knowing your lines and getting along with other actors are not his special snowflake qualities, it's basic common sense. He can't afford to ignore them if he wants to work as he's nothing more than a newcomer. There are dozens of better looking/more talented/more ambitious actors who are just as well behaved.
- Just seen another photo from last night. Look around his eye area. Has the fool been using a sunbed AND bronzer?
But at least he's learnt not to keep putting those hands in his pockets and to stand properly.
- He needs more beard. And he looks hopelessly tired
- R254 Exactly my point: he HAS to do this. And since he's always on his best behavior almost nauseatingly so, that's not the reason he's not getting parts.
At this point, it appears producers/directors don't think Hiddleston is all that special. That could change if he lands a part in a critically acclaimed movie outside of the Marvel universe where he makes a real impression. He may have to wait until the Loki furor dies down though.
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Fassbender are already being talked about for Oscar nominations for 12 Years a Slave.
- He didn't have too much foundation I can see his freckles. I like his hair
- Wait, Cumberbatch made a short? I wish to see this. Got a name for me? Anything?
- R255 His lips look like he either has heart problems which impair the circulation,or it was really cold outside. I hope it was cold and nobody purposely put lip products on him
- Fassy plays always the same character: an angry man. An angry man with superpower, with sex issues, with money problems, slavery matters
- R260 London it's quite cold
- But Damien Lewis who was also there and has a similar complexion didn't have lips like that.
I don't like his hair like that and he needs a shave
- Ejiofor has always been an acclaimed actor and Fassbender had Oscar buzz before TYAS, you can't compare them to Hiddleston.
Cumberbatch's short is called "Little favor". You can find it on i-tunes. He produced it with some friends and it's directed by Patrick Victor Monroe, aka P-Nut, Tom Hardy's ex best friend and personal trainer.
It's quite good.
- Lewis has a wife who take care of him. TH has only an incompetent make up artist
- Where is Luke when Thomas needs him? Not even a little scarf...
- R258 in fact I don't think it's foundation, it's his skin. Look at his nose, it's as patched as his forehead.
- Looks like clueless Grossman the make up artist has been at it again.
R253 Every time this subject comes up I mention it; again he's not getting cast because he moved to bigger US agency in 2011 (CAA), he's not a priority for them. Most likely he took the theatre role because he wasn't getting film roles (the dir said negotiations had been going on for a year).
This thread is a pile of fucking waffle, I give up. Isn't there any interesting gossip going on for chrissakes? I think only me & 1 other poster picked up on the story about Hemsworth being gay (an open secret in Oz apparently), what the hell was that about.
- And R263 what are you on about, are they twins?!
- R268 I also saw that but I doubt it. Hemsworth doesn't ping at all. Young Hemsworth, maybe, Chris highly unlikely.
- R268 so Elsa is a beard and India a baby by artificial insemination?
- R268 If Hemsworth being gay was/is an open secret in Oz, how come it hasn't followed him to North America and Europe? The gossip about Hugh Jackman being gay has persisted for years. Just sayin.
Hemsworth seems to keep a low profile. These days whenever he's photographed out and about he usually has the baby with him. It was odd that Elsa didn't show up for any of the Thor 2 premieres, or at least I didn't see any pictures of her.
R268 ITA -- Hiddleston needs to dump CAA and go back to his original agents. CAA is doing nothing for him. Even young Jeremy Irvine is getting more roles than he is.
- How many agencies he has behind him? Hamilton hodell? Public eye? CAA? For God's sake
- It does seem like when he switched agencies that was when it started to go downhill for TH. He really needs to take a step back and revaluate what he needs to do to help get him those parts. Or else he will just fall farther behind his contemporaries.
- Most of the comments here are dead on. They all seemed to agree changy to a big agency was a bad idea.
As it stands, he's way more interested in trying to be a star than actually flexing any acting muscles he might have, hence being quite happy to be unemployed for most of 2013 bar fashion shoots and handing awards to other people.
- He obviously wants being a star more than being an actor, he came to LA and tried his luck in the fucking pilot season. Which RADA educated Eton boy goes to LA to try for pilot season? He's not in this for the art he's in it for the acknowledgement and approval which is why he's not getting any parts. Seasoned industry people see through the bullshit.
- It's funny how he talks about his career is only just beginning i.e anything that happened before he became famous doesn't count.
It shows where his priorities and goals are.
- I agree with R276 and I want to add that's its just not being nice to the big guns in Hollywood , it's having that extra special something. TH had it but now has completely lost it to the point it's too late.
I wouldn't be too happy with my management and PR company If I was him. If he's locked in a contract by them out. He has enough money. This is his career FFS and he's too busy fanning around
- *buy them out
Oh and R277 he's not famous outside Marvel world. Loki is famous, he's not.
- It's getting tricky for him but he has some good work coming up. He's not up there with the other men in his peer group and there are other guys like Charlie H coming up behind him.
- R276 is absolutely correct.
This is not a man seriously interested in creating great art.
He wants fame, fans, approval, wining and dining beautiful people, to be seen at industry events, sit in private Moet- sponsored VIP lounges, and be interviewed by moronic entertainment "journalists" who will fangirl over his fake, upper-class manners. He wants fashion shoots and endorsement deals. He wants magazine covers and to dance like an idiot on tv.
His "It Boy" year has passed. 2011, 2012, 2013...he's nowhere near being as famous as he wants to be. The theatre (while a wonderful place) is too small to hold that ego. He wants to dress up as Loki and scream, "KNEEL!" at thousands of people- and have them adore him.
Great actor he is not. His contemporaries have left him in the dust. He's been doing this for quite some time, but still has not managed to make his mark outside of Loki. All that pandering has gotten him very little. 2014 should be very quiet for him. He's no one's first choice right now.
- Then again, never say never. Who would have bet two cents that Robert Downey Jr. would have any sort of a career five or six years ago given all his substance abuse problems and stints in rehab and prison? And now look at him: Marvel/Disney paid him $50M and a percentage of the gross for The Avengers. Not saying that's going to happen to Hiddleston. Just saying you can never count anyone out and you never know when someone will get lucky and hit paydirt with a great part that will win them an Oscar or bring them fame and fortune.
I also think Hiddleston needs to ditch the horrendous orange makeup, quit dyeing his hair so much befor it all falls out and stay home and catchup on his beauty sleep.
- R281 He was doing a lot of that stuff even before he got the role of Loki. The parties, events and everything. I think he could become a better actor if he would just calm a bit down and focus. I do wonder what 2014 will be for him. He has potential but wanting that fame seems to get in the way of it.
- R282 RDJ happens to be an amazing actor with lots of acclaimed roles and an Oscar nomination before fucking up. I literally want to bitchslap you for saying ignorant shit like "who would have bet two cents that Robert Downey Jr. would have any sort of a career five or six years ago". Landing Iron Man did nothing for his career. It was his cashcow.
- That statement he always nauseatingly makes about how you can't call yourself an actor without an audience is very telling. Boy is in it for the attention.
- Absolutely right, R284, TH is nowhere near RDJ + RDJ is American.
- Even with his drug problems RDJ still has way more experience with acting than TH. I don't think you can really compare the two.
- R284 Bitch slap away. I'm not comparing RDJ's talent to TH. Merely stating that no one could or could not predict that RDJ would rebound from his problems. As talented as some actors are, you never know if a studio, producer or director will go out on a limb and hire them. Sometimes insurance companies will refuse to insure them as well. NBC hired Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for Dracula but withheld his salary except for small stipends and per diem payments with the proviso that he stay sober until filming ended.
A lot of people were also surprised when Mickey Rourke came back and copped an Oscar nomination a few years ago after all his problems and bad plastic surgeries.
Acting is a fickle business and you never know who will end up on top, who will flop or who will be a comeback story.
Hiddleston has talent. But who knows what will happen. He could indeed fade away after the Loki stuff dies down or he could have a career resurgence in a few years after everyone's forgotten about him and win a big award. Time will tell.
- Trained or not, experienced or not, there is one thing which is given: the talent. You ether have it or not. RDJ is a natural born actor, the same with Cumberbatch. Training and experience just facet a rough diamond into a perfect gem. TH is gifted, yes, but he needs to work twice as hard to get somewhere.
Also, add to that the famous, "It's about surprising YOURSELF - never mind the AUDIENCE."
Yes, of course, Thomas, we all know.
It's all about YOU.
LOL, read any interview he's done. Read that pathetic piece he wrote about his publicity trip to Guinea. Me, me, me- it's all about me.
- R275 My bad, he's now with WME in the US (I knew it was one of the major ones). The deadline article does say they were all after him at the time (apparently his agent left for UTA then he jumped).
The comments in that article are interesting.
Just to point out that Ryan Gosling has been with a small agency for years (IFA) and it hasn't harmed him.
- I'm sorry I don't see TH winning any major award, he doesn't have that much of a range. He would need to be very very very lucky
- I watched both War Horse and Midnight in Paris, and I didn't even realize Hiddles was on them, despite being a Marvel fanboy. Seems like he doesn't make much of an impression without the Loki horned helmet on.
- Can't believe this thread is still open.
- Proof that he needs to move away from Loki
- people keep repeating that he has talent - he really doesn't. he is mediocre and doesn't show any true potential. hollow crown was a huge opportunity for him and he blew it. he just didn't deliver, other actors in smaller parts outshone him and then there was wishaw and hiddleston couldn't compete with him at all.
loki? hammy acting but maybe acceptable for a silly comic book role. definitely NOT a proof of his talent to anyone but the most delusional fangirls. war horse? nobody remembers him. midnight in paris? the guy who played hemmingway was the one everyone noticed and his part was as small and hiddleston's.
go outside tumblr and see how many people - better, how many CRITICS - know him or care about him. you wont find many. because he is nothing special, just one of the many mediocrities trying to get big in hollywood.
I predict that his coriolanus will be similarly mediocre and other actors like gatiss will get more praise than him.
- ONTD just touched the bottom. Their precious rainbow unicorn tweeted about UNICEF's work in Phillipins (after a fan asked him, lol) and they lose their shit.
"It's so great he brings awarness" as if nobody speaks about it and many famous people didn't tweet about it before.
But the best is: "Yeah, I hope that now he'll visit my country so I can show him my big horns." Or the "Is UNICEF legit?" Fuck that, some of them don't even know what UNICEF is.
I thought ONTD users were a bit better than others, but they're just worse.
- R297 this isn't news, ontd has been taken over by the tumblr crowd. hence why they have so many social justice themed posts that get hundreds of comments. it's a pity because that site used to be fun. not so much anymore.
You said it all very well. ITA about The Hollow Crown. All his "fans" got out of that was the inspiration to write porn about the wedding night with Catherine & Henry. No BAFTA for that.
Corey Stoll had a small role as well in MIP, and nailed it.
People have written this before. He has cultivated a fickle fan base of women who praise him for turning them on sexually. However, they never address his actual acting ability- because that's irrelevant to them, and he's actually not that talented. Which is OK for him, as he is far more interested in becoming a celebrity than being an actual actor.
One of the strangest things I have seen was when he was in Asia, and all those teenagers were yelling "LOKI!" TH looked as if he was going to cry. That Marvel exec- Kevin something?- leaned over and said, "They are calling YOUR name."
No. They were yelling for Loki.
So sad for TH that he has bought into Marvel's (all-we-want-is-to-make-billions-of-$$) idea that he *is* this one-dimensional character. They will ditch him when he is no longer useful to them, too. Sad. You sell your soul to Marvel- that's what you get. Hope he enjoyed his run from 2011-2013 as Loki. That's his claim to fame.
- R297 ONTD has hit rock bottom a long time ago. 99% of the commenters in his post are hysterical fraus who think they're rational fans but in reality are just as deluded as the Tumblr teen crowd.
- *in his posts
- What's with all the hate towards Marvel Studios?
- [quote]ONTD has hit rock bottom a long time ago. 99% of the commenters in his posts are hysterical fraus who think they're rational fans but in reality are just as deluded as the Tumblr teen crowd.
- "And actually, then, then we did a scene where Loki finds the big, dark secret of his personal history. After the first couple of takes, Tony leaned across and said, ‘Have you got a good agent?’ I said yes. And he said, ‘You’re going to need it.’"
- Fuck that, he's such a show-off.
- He's a famous dude who likes being famous. Not actually a crime.
- He needs to step it up and stop all of this circus bear nonsense. I mean he may think the fangirls love it, but the execs must think he's a real joke. I don't see Cumberbatch or even that woman beating Fassbender putting on a musical review and dance performance for their moronic fans.
He just needs to step away from all of that and focus on work, work is what makes it, circus bear performing does not.
- Argh they've invaded the imbd message boards as well. I wonder if these stans will feel he's such a great actor after their crush has ended? I think not
- TH IMdB board is full of whiny silly gooses.
They're nice and all but they have one brain cell for all of them. They're not nasty, that's sure, but they're not fun too.
- Eccleston and Kinnear, magnifecent and talented actors, star in a new ITV drama. Does TH do TV as well? This guy has serious problems
- He's Loki, he's a star, he doesn't need tv... for the moment.
Yesterday an article said Cumberbatch got his role in "August: Osage County" with a selfie video. He filmed himself with his i-phone for the audition.
That's terrible for TH, BC doesn't give a fuck and he's cast. TH does everything he can no one wants him.
- So his agent is an incompetent like his PR and make up artist?
- Marvel's probably pissed they didn't snag j.lawrence first. Ha ha serves them right.
- His imdb board is bizzaroland. I drop in once in a while to catch up on the crazy. That one lady who posts 10 threads a day is especially sad.
- This is probably PR feed to the guardian but what is this guy smoking? This wasn't Loki mischief it was TH showing off as usual.
- This journalist must have a Tumblr.
But it's true, he did the job and the fans loved that. He knows what he's doing and how fangirls will react. He's at the same time totaly over the top and sincere, he wants to be loved and he'd do anything for approval.
Some people think it's cute, others think this guy is a tiring yes man with no personality.
Whatever, that certainly doesn't mean that people outside of the Marvel/Loki fandom are impressed by his horns, dance and puppy eyes.
- What I am taking from this thread is that TH is the most packaged Brit actor I am aware of. Everything is controlled to the nth degree. It's like watching a boyband member or somesuch. And yet he is so little in demand, it can't be necessary and it must be costing a fortune.
- Best quote from that Guardian article:
'Like Jennifer Lawrence, his is an unfiltered realness that is fast becoming the ultimate asset in post-Twitter, post-PR Hollywood; he makes it a lot harder for actors to go on to platitude autopilot, droning keywords like "inspirational" and "humble" during a hotel-room press junket.'
Isn't that EXACTLY what he's doing? How many times has he really, truly thank-you-darlinged in interviews all over the world? The dance moves just make sure the fangurls are placated.
- R318 boyband! that's the link I looking for, thanks
- What we are seeing is the polar opposite of "unfiltered realness".
- "the most beloved posh person" this, on the Guardian! lol.
But I wonder, if everybody had the same impression of this journalist, that TH raised the bar for how actors should promote their movies, this maybe won't buy TH many friends among his colleagues.
Maybe nobody will ever say it as openly as Laurence Fox, but sooner or later a journalist will ask an actor if he would be willing to promote like TH and the answer will be "I'm an actor, not a clown".
- R323 it's bound to be cumberbatch . Hell I want it to be BC, the guys a legend without trying. TH should take tips from HIM
- LMAO, the "media" comparing TH to Cumberbatch, in any capacity regarding acting. I guess it makes for more posts on Tumblr, but c'mon. BC is an effortless thespian. Complaints about him are: he looks like a lizard alien, has a stupid name, and he "does not attract me sexually." But his acting? Flawless. And he does what he wants, says what he wants- and directors are falling over each other to cast him. Hope it lasts- he's amazing to watch.
TH? Pffttt. Luke Windsor must be near-dead for all the publicity he's thrown around about him. Tom should dance on back to Pixie Hollow, where he belongs.
- If he truly had the chops, he doesn't need "unfiltered realness" or monkey antics to promote his film. The fact that he needs to dance and fool his way through press junkets and show up to so many events means that he's not a good enough actor at all. Others like Leo can afford to shun the press because his work speaks for itself. Ben Cumberbatch can afford to joke his way through his reddit AMA because he's obviously more in demand and actually BC's answers to questions are the real sort of unfiltered realness compared with TH's very carefully crafted please-everyone answers. People only like him as Loki, take that away he has nothing.
- The singing, the dancing, the people pleaser, these are all parts of his real personality I believe. The fact that BC does not perform those antics is because of his more blunt, low-key introverted personality. Just don't think you can really compare them. They are totally two different types of people, personality wise.
- The audiences at Coriolanus will probably look more like the crowd at a One Direction concert than serious theatre-goers. Hysterical Tumblr fangirls more interesting in getting his autograph and picture and then posting about it on their blogs as opposed to actually being interested in Shakespeare.
- Maybe he will sing and dance his way through Coriolanus. May be the only way some will understand it.
And the crowd goes wild!
- R328 I don't know of any One Direction concerts that have 30 or 40 something year old women attending them. TH fanbase seems to have more older women in it than teen girls. At least from what I have seen.
- BREAKING: Tom Hiddleston, handsome star of stage and screen, continues to remain wealthy, famous, and employed. The 32 year old winner of the MTV Award for Best Villain drives his middle-aged female fanbase crazy with his ability to enjoy his work. Glamour Award winning Man of the Year, Tom Hiddleston, is living his dream and loving it.
- [R331] I guess I am assuming that most of the fangirls are younger since Hiddleston is mostly known to them as Loki. Not sure how many middle-aged women are into the superhero movies but it's certainly possible. In any event, I will still be interested in seeing what happens with Coriolanus.
- R333 That comic con Nerd HQ panel that featured TH seemed to have an awful large amount of older ladies in the audience than young girls. TH was there to promote Thor 2.
- I've watched a lot of Zac Levi's Nerd HQ panels, and the audience generally skews older, from what I've noticed.
- R332 you've must be working overtime to get them to publish that article.
Isn't funny how these antics started after the stans on twitter, tumblr, ONTD and CB all accused him of taking himself too seriously? He can't do just in between can he?
Anyone would think he was deprived of attention as a child
- Comparing TH to BC all the time is quite unfair. No need to trash TH to praise BC even if Tommy deserves to be spank.
That said, Cumby must be funnier to spank. His round ass is his best figure.
- R332 very true.
- BC is fours years older, four years ago almost no one knows him, after sherlock success he managed his career very well. TH no, loki gave him a chance but he threw away everything
- Or maybe TH is just enjoying the only role that has garnered him such 'fame'. Luke needs to remind his buddy fame is fleeting and time to put up the Loki costume and grow up and start working at his craft, his RADA training, his illustrious stage performances that he always goes on about.
And NO fanfraus, Loki is NOT a role worthy of any awards except the pointless MTV Popcorn bucket voted on by the tumblr crowd.
I think he could act, and impressively too, if he focused on his acting and not feeding his ego.
- Rotten Tomatoes is giving any piece of garbage a rave these days
- Brillant quote from TH on imdb
[on working on "War Horse" and "Midnight in Paris"] I'm enormously proud of it because I'm a significant part of both those films.
He wasn't significant in either of those films. He was on screen for lest than 10 minutes in War Horse and only about 20 in the other. It's fine to be proud that your a part of a film, but making out your part is bigger than what it really is laughable.
I did remember seeing TH on Surban Shootout. He had a significant part in that and was actually really good in it. I wonder why he never ever mentions his role in though?
- Probably because in many countries Suburban Shootout was never seen. Not every UK tv show makes it out of the UK. War Horse and Midnight in Paris are movies that were released everywhere.
- Probably because he was in it before he was famous, and therefore it doesn't count as part of his career. According to him, anyway.
Most likely he doesn't talk about it because it was a slightly embarrassing Channel 5 sitcom that nobody cared about, least of all TH. Maybe nobody asks him about it, or his early stuff in general although he did talk about how much he enjoyed doing Casualty.
Same reason nobody asks Benedict about Fortysomething, it's not as interesting to talk about compared with what he's doing now.
It was a crazy show but the first season was pretty funny. I'd love someone to ask him about the infamous scene with his head between her legs.
- He was genuinely funny in it without it being false like he is now. TH is talented but he has lost his way probably due to his ego
- R344 That girl grew up to be her royal highness and all over amazingness Ruth Wilson.
- Look how muscular Fraser is next to TH. he needs to bulk up a bit to make it all look believable. I'm still in two minds if he can pull this off.
- Look at his ankle! Porcelain skin, I'm so envious
- If only his face could be porcelain skin too.
- R349 You made my day
- In OLLA's trailer, he looks like emo porn actor (who needs a shower) liking a dildo.
- R351 I think that's exactly what jarmusch had in his mind
- Is Jarmusch gay?
- Hmm. All this bulking up talk. I'm not convinced. The whole charm of Shakespeare is surely that it translates into any visual representation. In other words - the play is the thing. Would a general really be big and muscular after a long campaign? Or more wiry and hardened after war rations and all that marching and fighting? Some of the most physically strong people I know are skinny little runts compared to others. I don't think it matters. He has that imposing quality with the height, the power stancing and the deep voice - I think he's got it covered.
I would sooner he did justice to the character than spend his time bulking up. What he needs isn't muscles - it's presence and it's that he needs to work on rather than his physical size.
- R353 No R354 I agree
- R354 he's 2 weeks away, I doubt he will become any bigger and muscular than he is now. What do you see in those pic is the way he is going to be on stage.
- R356. Good.
- More recent photos from Coriolanus rehearsal
- he looks delicious in that blue shirt.
- Looks like his stans are getting annoyed with Windsor and want the old TH judging from fan boards
Also he is looking very gaunt recently. Just saw him in the telegraph and he actually does look sick
- As he is wearing a coat in the rehearsals and the others aren't, it might be he looked sick because he had a cold or flu.
TH needs to give Windsor the boot IMHO. He's actually feeding the ego not taming it
- The curious thing is that Windsor doesn't seem to behave the same way for the other actors he represents.
- Perhaps Tom is easily influenced ?
I've seen old pictures of him, when he still looked normal. I can't believe how much he changed in 2 years.
- R360 You mean in this Telegraph video?
- R346 Funnily enough, I still think she can't act...
- Sorry I meant this video
- Why is he wearing a v-neck thirst in this cold weather. No wonder he looks ill.
I agree, he looks like he has an out-of-control drug habit or an eating disorder. Either way, I'm surprised he's got enough energy to get up and dance so much.
- This guy doesn't seem to be a druggie. Maybe few joints but nothing more.
I like his fans saying that if he doesn't work and has only CP next year it's because he doesn't want to be overexposed or because he's selective. God bless their little heart.
- Does he ever stop giving interviews?
- Never but you can't blame him. He has Corionalus (sounds like a STD) to promote.
- I don't think he's taking drugs but it wouldn't surprise me in years to come he admits to an eating disorder. Even for a naturally skinny person he looks way to thin
- That JA chick seems to have a boyfriend/Mr in her life. Might be TH. Someone commented on her twitter it was nice to meet Mr. Arthy
Peter Mensch @maindepowr 30 Oct
@janearthy do you know you could be jan earthy. Nice to meet mr Arthy. As always a pleasure to hang with you all
- R373. Sorry, very old news and not TH is seems.
Let JA just go way please. TH has time only for himself.
- These new rehearsal pictures are awful. He looks as if something is sucking life out of him. Ether he smokes, or drinks or he does drugs. My partner is 6.3 and of the same constitution as TH, he is 40 and looks exactly like TH looks being 32. Males of such constitution almost never gain weight if they do not do weight lifting, no matter how much they eat. The only problem solving is a well balanced diet. This man needs to visit a nutritionist, otherwise he’ll faint at some point. (A visit to a cosmetologist is also an option.)
Re Windsor: he’s definitely not the best option for TH. On the one hand he does well, promoting TH while he seats jobless, on the other hand he makes TH look totally artificial. In my opinion TH needs someone more experienced and influential (especially at this stage of his career when he tries to make his way up), who’ll be interested more in THs image than establishing their own persona in PR community.
- R375 Agreed about TH looking unwell. I don't think he gave himself any recovery time after his PR tour, and then he went right from the Thor 2 premiere in LA to Coriolanus rehearsals in London the next day. That alone has to have taken a toll on his immune system.
(And for the love of God and all that is holy can we PLEASE stop bringing up the non-entity Jane Arthy?)
- I hope he does give himself some time to recover from all his PR work before it starts. I shudder to think what would happen if he became ill and had to miss a performance. His fangirls would flip out because they just all wish to see him, not his understudy.
- R373 TH wasn't at the awards thing where JA and co were at. Although she has teeeted marvel stuff.
JA is an irritant and best to be ignored
- TH has always been skinny but compared to the beginning of the year? You can see the dramatic weight loss. Something is not right. He said is weight on the lately show but I call BS on that because even with his height he doesn't look like that
- You can't say he is underfed just because his face looks bad. We all know the state of his face skin. He looks tired but that is unsurprising and probably the reason why he looks way older.
- R369 Indeed, I can't believe they can say stuff like "he has done tons of Shakespeare".
- Well, he thinks that Loki is a shakesperien character, just like his pixie movie. So yeah, he did a lot of Shakespeare in his head.
- I'm pretty sure this guy is just overtired at this point. I for one couldn't do a press tour and then the premieres on 3 continents,no wait 4, and then go to full time rehearsing each day,which will then be followed with 3 months of the actual show.
If he would look fresh faced I'd think there's something wrong.
And his "sudden aging in the past 2 years" that I still don't see,but maybe I'm just not looking carefully, has probably something to do with the same thing.
He might have been auditioning like a maniac and did 2 movies in said years. A sudden change in lifestyle is bound to take a toll on someone
- R383 you don't see his ageing because he already looked older 2 years ago or because to you he looks like a normal 32 years old? I mean obviouslt he's older so he can't look 29 anymore but he isn't supposed to look 40!
- Just few years ago he didn't look orange, had nice curly hair, looked mentally balanced and was wearing leather jacket. Now he's an orange over-acting circus bear.
I don't think he's gonna have problems with Coriolanus, tired or not. But if he isn't up to it, he can only blame himself. I'm sure Marvel didn't oblige him to do all these turns and interviews.
If he didn't understand that rave critics for Coriolanus are more important than stupid interviews, for his career, the guy just can't be helped.
- R384 We're at a point where a 16 year old can look 26,and 60 year olds look 40,so I would say he does look like a normal 32 year old. On his "no orange face" days that is.
I think he looks much better when you run into him on the street than when he's all glammed up (that was sarcasm. make-up artist, please take note,for you are not capable of glamming up anything)
In any case, I'm sure that when it comes to Shakespeare,he's almost maniacal about it, so I don't doubt he'll do well
- Here's the thing. I like the guy a lot and I do think he has talent, but I liked him a lot better when he wasn't as intent on selling a public persona. I'm aware that all actors do this to a certain extent, but the fact that it's so apparent with TH to the point where it's been commented on by a fellow actor means that there is a problem. All in all, I still think he's a decent guy and a good actor, but perhaps got too caught up in trying to keep the fan attention that he's garnered. He's the kind of guy you want to hug and tell him he doesn't have to try. So. Damn. Hard.
- Also, fan girls/people's opinions are so fickle. He'd do better to focus on the work and let that speak for him.
- R387/8: THIS. Exactly this.
I've seen that look before that he has, and it's the look of a worrier. He needs to care a whole lot less about what other people think.
I also think it is something to dislike.
As I said earlier on the thread, watching TH is like watching a member of One Direction or some other ultra-controlled boyband member. The "prank" videos that have clearly been rehearsed to death, the dancing, the the gushing politician answers about everything.
But he isn't a member of a boyband. There's no set of middle aged suits wanting to make $X profit before a star sinks standing behind TH. Therefore, he is the one who chooses this and employing/paying for people to achieve it.
But he's targeting fandoms, not casting agents or directors.
I like to support British actors all the way, but this guy is beginning to make my skin crawl.
- [quote]I also think it is something to dislike. As I said earlier on the thread, watching TH is like watching a member of One Direction or some other ultra-controlled boyband member. The "prank" videos that have clearly been rehearsed to death, the dancing, the the gushing politician answers about everything.
And yet you continue to obsessively watch Tom Hiddleston, soon to be seen in Corialanus at the Donmar. Meanwhile star of stage and screen, Tom Hiddleston, 32, continues to enjoy his fame and wealth while you gnash your teeth with complete strangers on the internet. Bless.
Haha. Fair point, Luke-de-Luke. I do. However, your problemo as PR guru is that I watch ALL up and coming British actors as obsessively as this and currently, your Little Prince is languishing at the bottom of my "I hope he does well" list. For longevity, I would suggest that fan pandering and a cipher of a persona is not the best strategy. It's not as if the current one is getting him cast, is it? It's getting tumblr gifs.
- R386 I guess we have different basis of comparison. If I didn't know TH was 32 I would have said around 40, while for example Zachary Levi looks exactly his age to me.
- R391 Tumblr fame, that's all he has with exasperated promotion. End
- I think TH is just overtired from all the travelling/pr stuff and then rehearsing for Corialanus. He needs to slow down, if that is possible. He appears to not be eating and sleeping well too. I doubt its drugs, like someone stated earler, TH appears to be an occasional pot user, nothing else. I doubt he smokes since he is a runner.
- I was wondering, who are his friends in the bizz? I don't speak about fake promotion tour stupid bromance, but real friendships.
I don't get his friendship with Cumberbatch. They know each other of course, but I don't believe his "we're BFF" one second.
His friends and pairs could help him with his career, or there's only the Gay and Fabulous and Incompetent Luke.
- [quote] TH appears to be an occasional pot user, nothing else
based on what? The fact that he looks tired? lols With that memory of his I doubt it.
- Duh, if you smoke a joint from time to time you don't have memory problems. I don't see why it would so unbelievable that the guy smokes.
- I think a lot of his real friends are old theatre buddies who don't get seen much or do much film work. Laurence Spellman, John McMillan, Harry Hadden-Paton, Sian Clifford.
He and BC seem like very different people I'm surprised they're such close friends. He seems to be friendly with his co-stars like Hayley Atwell, Jess Chastain. And I don't believe the Chris bromance one bit.
- Yeah, the Hemsworth bromance seems so fake.
He works with Gatiss for Coriolanus, it could help him with tv. There's a lot of very good tv show and Gatiss is a good tv writer.
- Gatiss is nice intelligent person, I hope he can help him with some good advices
- I don't think Tom has much interest in doing TV work, he wants to do more films at least for the next few years.
He might go back to TV if his film roles don't pick up over the next five years.
- He may have no choice. If he snubs tv for his non-movie career, he's a real idiot.
If tv is good enough for Cumberbatch, Dominic West, Ben Wishaw, David Tennant, Idris Elba or Damian Lewis, it's good enough for Hiddleston.
- R403 And Kinnear,Eccleston, as someone said in this thread
- That explains the tweet regarding the Dr. Who thing. He wants to suck up to Gatiss now, LOL.
Never believed the Tumblr-created bromance between CH and TH. That always reeked of publicity. You could see the disbelief on Chris' face when he talked about the dancing Hiddles- quickly covered up by a compliment, of course. Must sell Thor/Loki.
I cannot see BC and TH being best buds, either. They seem very different. Besides, how does one get a word in when being around TH? He is constantly talking. About himself. I would imagine it would be quite tiresome being around him.
- Got to like a man who can eye fuck so blatantly and still quote The Bard and natter on about respecting women.
But what would we do without these gifs to bitch about. LOL
- R406 If it makes any difference to you the "respecting women" quotes that float around on the internet were fabricated by someone on tumblr.
The man sure does love breasts, doesn't he?
- If she was wearing something low cut, I would believe it's an eye fuck but it just looks like he's falling asleep
- To me he looked like he was watching whatever she was doing with her hands but falling asleep works too.
- Yeah I'm sure he loved to fall asleep between us.
- R410 he already did, maybe he was having a flashback.
- Everybody becomes his best friend when he works with them, then that's it.
TH is becoming like a brand. Everything to the last detail is planned and controlled. I agree with everyone when they compared him to the first Thor movie time. He was carefree, healthier, not fake and more importantly getting work.
There's no guessing when it started going wrong. Even his stans are complaining about the change. This is why I think it's all an act with TH now. We had the real TH and now he's gone
- Good old Tom can always come back. All he need is to fire the Gay, Fabulous and Incompetent Luke.
He'll be less popular on tumblr and among ONTD crazy dulled stans but it's for the better.
- R413 don't forget he has to fire the make up woman.
Actually the Tumblr and ONTD stans are also wanting the old TH back and are calling for him to fire certain people. Hard to believe but true.
TH needs to be careful. Once they start dictating what he says and wears, they'd be telling him who he can date, be friends with Etc.
I'm sure that's why he's not getting more roles. He has the talent, has the looks when he dresses himself without the orange, he's a reasonable man. But he's lost direction and is letting the incompetent ruin what made him
- I can believe taht CB or Tumblr fans want the old Tom back but not ONTD.
They love their flawless rainbow unicorn robot. They love PC people without guts even if they pretend the contrary. As long as Tom doesn't speak politics or any controversial subject, it's good with them.
He can sing and dance all he wants, they're just happy imagining him fucking Tilda Swinton.
- I wonder what his Eton friends think of him now.
- I see that crazy make up lady has posted a pic of herself, Tom and creeper Luke at Luke ' s nd party. I don't think Tom is going to fire make up lady any time soon.
- I actually think we are seeing the "real Tom" now. Didn't he remark, that on his 30th b-day, his sister created a video of him, throughout the years. He commented that he was struck by how hammy he was, how he was ALWAYS showing off, trying to be the center of attention.
I think he behaved himself when he first started out, not wanting to offend anyone. Now that he's been around for years, and Loki gave him access to all kinds of interviews and red carpets and microphones- he dropped the Old Etonian facade. THIS is who he is: starved for attention, pandering to anyone, less concerned with being a great actor, as he is keeping that spotlight on him, getting into VIP events, and having his picture taken.
The Disney prince thing has always been an act.
I agree about the control. He must think people are stupid. EVERYTHING he does is planned, rehearsed. The MTV thing, his speeches, responses, interview answers, his "dancing"- EVERYTHING he does is an act. If anyone thinks anything he does in public is "spontaneous Tom"- you are kidding yourself. He is selling a brand- himself as this perfect person- something for everyone, so that he is globally adored.
What's weird is that lately, with the blizzard of Loki promotion, he's all about the spontaneity of life, the "have no regrets" thought, the "take risks or you're not living!", dare to care! crap he spouts (as the son of millionaires, he can afford to think that way.) But, he is so clearly being controlled, manipulated, directed as to what to say and do.
Has he ever had an original thought that wasn't for publicity?
- TH is now following Fox. I don't think Fox is following him back for obvious reasons.
Of course TH is going to be at Luke's party, who do you think is paying for it?
He's following Fox??? Is he totally dumb???
The guy mocked him and he tought it was compliment? He's totally delusional or shameless.
- He looks like he's going bald in the photo. Crazy make up lady shouldn't be grooming anybody when she can't even do herself.
Wonder if there would be any new tea of TH and a new one nightstand from the party. It usually happens with him. We can then send the link to JA to make it even funnier
- Luke's birthday party.
- r420 Fox is following him though.
- Hiddleston doesn't look good, he should sleep more.
Is it the Gay, Fabulous and Incompetent Luke with his boyfriend? It looks like a gay daddy and his twink.
- Fox is following him, I'm sure he likes to laugh because from his interview he doesn't seem to like Hiddleston much.
- R425 Cast are putting in long hours & a 6 day week on rehearsals so that's not surprising.
That's Mr Grossman I believe.
Fox tweeted him the other (though I took that as a joke).
- Lol, the fangirls are thirsty.
- Maybe after meeting TH at that event last Sunday LF changed his mind and he is now a converted TH fan.
Sure if his make-up artist and his publicist are his tight-knit group of friends, that explains a lot.
Does Grossman ever wear any other coat? lols By chance I always see her with the same one in these photos.
- I don't know if it was sarcasm or not .
If an actor meets an other actor and then he follows him on twitter, that means that they may be friends not that the guy became a fan.
Fox and him are about the same age and certainly knew each other before as the english actor world is a very small world.
That said you can never really know with twitter, specially with someone like Fox, but I doubt he changed his mind about Hiddleston's circus.
- R430 It was a joke, of course, because I read LF tweet inviting TH to do a duet the day after the Evening Standard Awards so they sutrely got to chat that night.
I wonder how the conversation went, after LF's interview and his tweets about TH videos in SK.
- If there was a feud I hope we would have known but I doubt.
Hiddleston said he hates conflicts and I think it's true. I imagine he shut up in front of Fox and perhaps now Fox teases him.
Or perhaps they made friends but for some reasons I can't imagine them get on. They're far too different.
- TH's hair looks to be growing out a little...or it could just be lack of product. He's got on the same sweater he always seems to wear; what's he going to do when it goes threadbare.
- R429 maybe it explains his lack of jobs. If having him on set means having his PR too.I can understand directors doubts
- TH big performance of a jungle book song tonight. He's going to sound even more worse singing than normal because he was out drinking last night too.
I wonder if crazy make up lady is going to make him bright orange? And yes, he is losing his hair. It's showing because he's growing it
- R432 I also don't think they made friend since TH didn't reply to LF tweet.
If LF started following him first, when he tweeted that thing, maybe it was an olive branch and TH followed him back to show he accepted it.
- Is it true that Alabama boys of all ethnicities have the finest asses in America?
- whoops that was meant for the thread on the South lol
- R436: I thought that. He usually replies when other celebs tweet him, unless he missed it. LF also tweeted a couple of snippy little tweets about TH a little while ago - something about 'I've just cum' at one of his dancing vids so it's a snarkiness that's gone on for a while. Unless they shook and made up.
- R437: ;) Gotta love those Southern boys :)
- R439 I doubt TH missed it, a week went by and TH tweeted about other stuff in the meanwhile.
Yes, those 2 LF's tweets commenting the SK performance, are the one I was referring to earlier.
- evening standard awards night
- Bitchy Fox.
- Nasty nasty nasty. No need for that bitchiness at all. If it was just one tweet, you'd think 'well, boys will be boys' but to keep doing it repeatedly, it's bullying. I'm sure Tom can look after himself but it's still bullying.
- R422 LF is only following TH to get new material for piss take tweets. God Bless him
- R437, please don't apologize. We'll take anything to break the monotony of this horrid fangurl thread. That it's a great ass reference is a bonus.
- R444 Unfortunately with all of the continuous and shameless pandering TH has left himself open to become the butt of a thousand jokes.
Some of the stuff he did over the past few months was truly funny e.g. the turn at Comic Con;the delayed gratification video with Cookie Monster and the Comedy Central with Loki and the kids. Most of the rest of the stuff is cringeworthy.
Hopefully, he gets good reviews for Coriolanus so he can score some decent roles.
- At a charity event last night, selflessly receiving free swag for the good of starving children everywhere.
- Maybe it is a new white tee shirt R448, don't be so sarcastic. Or maybe he re gifts, to Luke the fabulous and annoying.
Well he sang and danced his little butt off. I imagine he practiced for days for this show.
Like I said before, one lonely dude.
- Dude, if you can't sing don't sing. I know it's for a charity but there's limits for everything.
And this gifts to rich people are absolutely ridiculous, quite a shame. That said, if it's a shirt he could give it to Cumberbatch.
- Did any if them get paid for the event? I agree about the singing, whoever told him he could sing is a fool. He probably has a load of yes men anyway
- I fucking hope they're not paid!!!! That would be disgusting.
- Usually they thank people for donating their time for free e.t.c
Why did they give them gifts? Surly the humble satfifaction that they helped a good cause if enough?
Speaking of good causes, TH is back with his UNICEF tweets although I find it strange he never tweets these days. He can't blame it on his work because Gatiss and Fraser are always on twitter!
- Gatiss is a master twitter and he has a lot on his plate with the Sherlock loonies who harass him.
- Gatiss has a lot to promote now, doctor anniversary coriolanus next sherlock, twitter can be helpful you know
- Depends on what kind of gift. Maybe they gave him a silver frame
- the first crop of coriolanus barclays front row tickets went out yesterday, from the lack of posts i'm guessing the battle wasn't as epic as i thought it would be?
- On the contrary, it seems
- Gift giving at that kind of thing is just a courtesy, it would be a little thank you gift, nothing huge. It was in a supermarket bought gift bag for crying out loud...
- I think all guests were supposed to sing something, at least that's what I got from the photos. Considering it was a charity for children, singing Bare Necessities wasn't that bad.
- We have to start looking for another new thread. Maybe about coriolanus opening in ten days
- Yes, is OP still here? Another thread would be lovely.
- R462 Yes, OP is still here. Happy to start a new thread about Coriolanus, TH, MG et al once we get to 600
- Thanks, very kind of you
- [quote]Scandanavians shove. It's a fact. And if shoving isn't a feature, I don't want to know what a feature is.
Chris is not really Scandanavian. Neither is Tom. Neither is Thor.
Stop posting here.
- It wasn't exactly like the Monty python show which sold out in 43 seconds.
I don't care if It was for charity, he can't sing in tune. As usual he pushed DL out the way to get to te front. He would be funny of he was drunk
- R457 The page was down for 5 minutes after which no tickets were left. It was immense fun. Especially for someone who actually likes Shakespeare and again did not get tickets because loonatics need to go stare at TH for the fudge of it.
But it's ok, there's 3 months left, hopefully they calm down eventually
- I just saw talented makeup lady's hands in the twitpic someone posted. If someone would touch my face with those hands I'd run screaming.
No wonder his face always looks halfway done
- [quote][R462] Yes, OP is still here. Happy to start a new thread about Coriolanus, TH, MG et al once we get to 600
You're a real cunt to encourage and enable these idiot fangurls to infest the Datalounge. They're frau freeloaders who don't belong here.
Let these stalker threads die and they'll go away.
- How can you tell apart the fraus/fangirls/stalkers from the average poster here? That is aside from fraus who are obsessesed with Jane Arthy.
Besides, there are plenty of other threads here about various celebrities and I am sure they have their fair share of fraus there. What makes the Tom Hiddleston's threads so different?
I hate the fraus and stalkers too but there is no way you can stop them from coming here. I remember those idiotic Russell Crowe/Libby threads years ago and those threads had the frauest fraus who ever fraued.
I think they are harmless compared to the freepers who come here.
- Funny that. Because Thor has been panned by the critics here in France.
- R470 I thought TH wasn't with JA? Anyway he couldn't be much into her if he openly flirting with this interviewer a week later at comic con.Notice how a look from Creepy Luke makes him hug the others. Although that intrerview he was eying her up and flirting badly
- R472 he isn't, your comment is exactly what R470 was referring to, people who still think JA is relevant.
- R472 LOL she's having none of it. "you gotta give me something BROTHER" like a kick in the solar plexus. poor thomas.
- So LW is also Douglas Booth PR. This creepy guy is fucking everywhere
- R475 TH was there too but must of have him the slip. Didn't notice Lw at the gala thing.
Went to have another look at imdb. Looks like the tumblr lot have indeed descended there. They are not happy with CB which make me happy that they haven't discovered us
- Laurence Fox being snarky about TH again.
What would be your dream role?
"Tom Hiddleston in a Tom Hiddleston biopic."
I can't decide if he's enamoured with TH or he's just massively taking the piss. Probably the latter.
- R477 Yes, the second.
- Both. He hates him but he can't ignore him
- And how does he think he's any different? Is this not attention whoring by association? At least Hiddleston's assholery is self-contained within his real self and Hollywood self. Laurence Fox is just petty.
- Lol, Fox is bitchy with Hiddleston but not with other actor. For exemple, he respects BC.
I think he just says out loud what the others are thinking quietly.
- I wonder if Hiddleston would ever react negatively toward a peer who badmouths him (a la Fox) or if he would put that "fine English breeding" to good use and just kill him with kindness? I'd LOVE to see Tom lash out at someone, just once.
- Yes, I agree with 481. I'm no English so my perception of his answer might be a bit different, but saying you want to play an actor your same age in a biopic of said actor and that you could pull it off easily, sounds quite offensive to me.
- Fox if from "fine English breed" too. He was at Harrow with BC and he comes from a family of famous actors.
The guy is not totally stupid so he must know what he can say and what he can't. If he thinks he can mock Hiddleston openly and freely that means that TH must be a private joke among actors.
- R451 They don't get "paid," but they get plenty of press and opportunities to push their brand, and they get expensive swag.
I work in nonprofits and fundraise, and I have to say every luminary I have ever worked with would be horrified to be seen accepting gifts. But there are two different kinds of celebs who support causes: those who actually do care and want nothing for themselves, and those who see it as a way to promote themselves. I think it is clear where TH stands.
When we throw events, we are usually careful to keep the amenities nice enough to be a little welcoming treat (drinks and canapes) but modest enough so that people will not become upset about taking money away from the cause. If I handed swag to somebody as if this were the BAFTAS, they would not be happy.
Sorry, I am really disgusted.
- Having a go at TH once in print is bad manners, but LF is a bully, simple as that.
Yep. I believe most people (who even know who he is) have figured that out- boy wants the fame and attention- desperately.
WTH is all this fangurl weeping over Laurence Fox's comments? He's a riot- has a great, snarky sense of humor. Always has.
Aw, poor Thomas. He makes an utter fool of himself in public for weeks- and someone in the industry takes the piss out of him.
Bullying? Jealous? More like, LF is someone who has a brain and a working pair of eyes. He sees what a joke TH actually is.
Thankfully, the clock is slowing ticking down for Loki. Yay.
- R487, I have to agree. LF is snarky and funny, and is certainly not doing anything out of line, or saying anything that is untrue.
He knows that because of his position in London theatre, he can afford to say what he really thinks, and I suspect he is saying what plenty of other people are thinking but don't have the balls to actually say out loud. The fact that he is keeping it up indicates that he is probably getting plenty of thumbs up from those who are in the know.
If he were using his power to actually harm TH, I would call that bullying, but he is not. If TH can't take a little criticism, he has issues. And given LF's record of success which far exceeds TH's, I doubt that we are looking at envy. That "they are only jealous!" argument is really childish.
More likely, if you know LF's reputation, he has very little patience for people who he considers to be stuffed shirts who rise to the top primarily because of class, money, and family connections. In the case of TH, he is spot on accurate, and his wisecracks are refreshing.
- R486 he's not a bully and he has a right to comment on TH just like we do. It's understandable when actors work their arses off whilst the likes of TH piss around in front of cameras. TH was very lucky getting the Loki gig and if that first film was being made right now I honestly don't think he'd get the role due to his antics
- It's shocking how stupid you people are about this. Given the attention and obsessiveness of the Hiddlestans and Hiddlehaters, plus his willingness to promote the shit out of the film, he'd be given the Loki role again in a heartbeat.
[quote]Went to have another look at imdb. Looks like the tumblr lot have indeed descended there. They are not happy with CB which make me happy that they haven't discovered us
Oh, really? That's very interesting.
So? He'll be showing up at Comic-Cons, in his 40's, in full Loki regalia- not having any other films out for years. Marvel will milk him for every penny they can get from him. His stans will love it, and he will get the attention he wants.
We'll still side-eye all the BS he will continue to spout.
It's a win-win.
- R490 I really do doubt it luke, He's lost what has made him special to begin with and has turned into a performing brand for his management. At the end of the day the film makers want actors not promoters.
And I don't also believe he's into that UNICEF as he makes out to be. Sure he has empathy but he never had an interest until the made him ambassador which is in a way strange when other actor and actresses like emily blount who genuinely have always been a supporter don't get asked.
I'm not a fan or a hater but come on the guy is a fucking brand now
- The UNICEF gig was arranged by Luke Windsor, who also arranged for all the fashion shoots, and who of course went along to Africa to manage the publicity.
The moment he returned the first thing TH did was a self- indulgent fashion shoot for Flaunt magazine, arranged by Lyke, wearing thousands of dollars worth of clothing, rhapsodizing about how kind he is.
It really is about publicity and creating a brand for the actor. UNICEF is just another fashion shoot.
- R485 - if you work in a charity you know that celebs are often given a token little gift to say thanks if they turn up. The others who were there that night would have got one too. Are you knocking the others? We have no idea what was in the bag. Look at the pic. It was a shitty £1.50 supermarket gift bag - what do you think was in it? A Faberge egg? A Rolex? Highly unlikely. It would have been a token gift. You know how these things work and without knowing what was in the bag it's not fair to pass comment.
And LF broke ranks. He did. Over dinner tables and coffees, this type of bitching goes on on all the time. About anyone and anything. But to spout it publically? In print? This is very, very unusual indeed.
R493: Agree about the bizarre juxtaposition between the Africa trip and the photoshops but is TH the only one to do this? No.
Hate to sound like a Frau but don't knock the boy for no reason. Knock him for his singing, that's shite, bless him
You do sound like you are making excuses. I won't drop the word "frau," but come on.
No he isn't the first celebrity to use a charity as a way to raise his profile or stay in the public eye. He doesn't have to be the first. The fact is he is using a charity for his own publicity purposes, and even you, a stan, has noticed that.
He is shallow and self-centered, and the publicity side of his Africa trip is in fact much more shallow and self-centered that is typical. How does one go to a country like Guinea, then come back and do a photo shoot for a fashion magazine and try to make it all about oneself? I actually work for charities, and it is NOT typical for celebrities to bring their publicists along, or to use it as an opportunity to promote themselves, or to turn it into a glamour thing.
As for the swag bag, no I don't think it contained a rolex, but it is noticeable just how much this man like to grab the goodie bags, whatever they happen to contain. Because it is still all about him and all about having stuff.
At the charity where I work, we gave out moleskine notebooks stamped with the charity's logo to our volunteers, but most of them were embarrassed to take even that. We ended up distributing them at the hospital. TH not only never says no to a photographer, a fan, or a goody bag, he seems to actively seek them out.
- "And LF broke ranks. He did. Over dinner tables and coffees, this type of bitching goes on on all the time. About anyone and anything. But to spout it publically (sic)? In print? This is very, very unusual indeed."
This makes me admire LF even more. I have no trouble believing that plenty of London theatre people roll their eyes in private and snark about TH. But in public? No, in public it is all mealy-mouthed charm, rehearsed answers, and fake praise because everyone is afraid of what others might think. And you think this is polite and gracious even while you admit that these same people probably dish in private! Wow!
LF is clearly someone who feels confident and comfortable enough in his own skin saying exactly what he thinks, and in the process he is funny, witty, and light-hearted. You might not appreciate this, but I find it refreshingly honest and real, and I wish there were more of this.
- R495, R496
Bravo, well said. But you will NEVER convince his stans that he is anything other than perfect. Doesn't matter WHAT he does, he's their perfect Prince Charming. He loves each and every one of them, and everything he does, he does especially for them, personally. No matter the publicity trip to Africa, the total pandering to everyone and anyone- doesn't matter. He is perfect, in every way.
Thank God for this thread on DL! It's the only place online where people seem to see the real TH- a self-absorbed, pandering, oblivious, media-controlled, mediocre actor. Tumblr, this is not.
- Calling LF a bully doesn't imply poor TH; I'd like to see him reply in kind, but if he's smart it'll be a case of IDGAF because he's got to know he'd be up for snark.
Zooey Deschanel was recently interviewed in the Sydney Morning Herald saying "This business is all about branding." Perhaps, but TH's branding needs to get taken down a couple notches. I agree R494, the singing is shite.
- I am a fan of Hiddleston's but I have an open mind and there are certain actions of his that bother me. His receiving of swag and he being a no-show for that charity event back in June. Was it UNICEF?-I can't remember. He tweeted about it endlessly and then he did not show up with no explanation.
- Before you all shoot me for mentioning her, I just want to clarify its to do with what we are all talking about. About TH being a brand and his need for publicity.
But I think the Wimbledon thing with JA was a publicity stunt and she almost certainly knew LW. Think about it. We never hear about TH having a girlfriend and the moment gay rumours and player stories come out, voila a 'girlfriend date'. This failed in my eyes because the chemistry in the photos were as cold as an polar bears butt. Also fans in the same area took photos of TH and he wasn't even sitting next to her but a man (looked liked his dad) . The fact that he unfollowed her afterwards tell me it's job done. We have never seen another picture with him since or before and hardcore stans who met him in private have never seen her with him.
What does this tell us? Not only does he use charities as a publicity stunt , he also uses his love life. As with everything TH has been doing out of character, I blame LW.
- I can't wait to see what he does next to prove us all wrong in what we are saying! Lol
- R497 I doubt any of us here is commenting with the intent of changing TH's stans mind.
As for that charity event, all the guests on stage received one, what did you expect them to do? Throw it to the ground? Embarrass the host by refusing it? In this particular occasion it's not realistic to blame TH.
I wouldn't call LF a bully, somehow it seems to me he is poking at TH to see what comes out, if he really is a Disney Prince or if he can manage to annoy him enough to get a reaction.
- He's not worse than others. He's not the first to use charity to promote himself. That sucks but he's not alone.
I think he's quite sincere but at the same time so privileged that he can't understand what it means to be poor, so he seems fake.
As for his IMdB board there's some sane fans but others really need to get a life outside of him/Loki.
And I really don't think JA was a beard. I don't know what happened between the two, not that I care, but the guy is straight.
- "I wouldn't call LF a bully, somehow it seems to me he is poking at TH to see what comes out, if he really is a Disney Prince or if he can manage to annoy him enough to get a reaction.".
But why? why does he care? Bitching about someone' s famewhoring and then trying to get a reaction from him in a very public way, talking about him in interviews, posting tweets about him... if he is that disgusted by TH getting attention from the press and the public because he doesn' t like it, why is he doing the same? Sounds pretty hypocrital to me! I do think TH tries too much, mind you, but LF is doing exactly the same in just another way!
- I doubt TH gives a fuck about LF. If he's upset he can always look at Tumblr or ONTD to see all the HiddlesLove.
And yes, you can always refuse politely and with a smile ,a gift. You won't embarass anyone if you just pass the table without stopping.
- R504 I don't know LF that well to give you an explanation, maybe he doesn't like how TH trivialized the acting profession making it look like actors are clowns. Just my impression.
Given TH reaction at the KFM game I'd say straight too.
- "And I really don't think JA was a beard. I don't know what happened between the two, not that I care, but the guy is straight."
That doesn' t mean that he didn't use her to dissipate the rumors about him being gay. There are plenty of men who are straight but are mistaken for gay. Maybe he doesn't like it, but didn't have anyone decent to show that he gets it from the ladies, and asked the faboulos Luke to provide someone! Personally, I think they screwed together a couple of times, she thought it was the biggest love story after Rhett and Scarlett, started bragging about it, and since he obviously wasn't THAT interested, dumped her when he got bored or she became too annoying to bare.
-  No, I get that, and I thought the same as well... I just don' t understand why he thinks that using press and social networks to bash someone else and get attention is less degrading for the "mighty acting profession" than using press and social networks to promote movies and get attention!
And I used your quote because it was the last that addressed the topic, but I wasn' t trying to attack you! In fact, I agree with what you said!
- R508 no worries, I didn't think you were attacking me.
Maybe because bashing in a witty way is considered cool, while going along with whatever is asked of you by fans or movie companies isn't.
- R495: Oh yes. Of course. Apparently I'm a 'Stan'. The boring standard response to anyone who says anything positive about TH. Yawn.
R502 has it right - was he meant to throw it back in their face? No. And from the pictures he was in some kind of line up, I.e hadn't gone to a table to get it but did the whole 'line up and shake hands' thing which is where he was given this supposed pot of leprechaun gold in a supermarket bag everyone is going mental about.
- It is very interesting that TH has never been linked seriously with a woman, well, not since Susannah. Gay, bi or straight, he certainly is good at keeping his personal life under wraps. Does he actually screw around? I think so but he keeps is so quiet too.
- R482 I don't think he'd ever be openly bitchy about anyone. He's like those fine English ladies who take shit and just respond diplomatically while smiling.
But I am sure that if he'd ever decide someone has been to big of an arse, he will drop a "fuck you imbecile" comment so gracefully wrapped that even the one who it was directed at would be left speechless.
And I do think Fox is pretty pathetic, fine breed has nothing to do with one's genetic peasant nature.
- R505 It would be sad if the guy actually spent that much time following what TH does. He's not the first and he won't be the last at anything. He's not the only actor who maybe makes some lift an eyebrow, and I have to say, he's doing it much less annoying than others.
Again, if LF actually spent so much time analyzing what TH does and getting frustrated about it, then TH must be doing something right to get the attention
And for the record, to me LW really seems like a principle-less human being
- Some of you really think he never swears, he's always perfect, above anything and anyone???
The guy may be a robot in public but I'm sure he's not as "charming and polite" in private, at least I hope for him.
- "fine breed has nothing to do with one's genetic peasant nature."... exactly! one person could be part of the best family ever and still be a jerk!
Also,  said: "More likely, if you know LF's reputation, he has very little patience for people who he considers to be stuffed shirts who rise to the top primarily because of class, money, and family connections. In the case of TH, he is spot on accurate, and his wisecracks are refreshing."... do I think TH is reasonably famous because his family is wealthy and he had the chance to meet people who helped him with his career? Yes, I do! Do I think LF has a job because the 75% of his family works in the show business? Hell, yes! It' s not like TH had all the connections in the World and LF is the poor kid who had to work hard to get where he is and had to fight against recommended talentless idiots who stole his job! I am pretty sure he is one of the recommended just as much as TH if not more!
- Would you insane people and this entire thread FUCK OFF??
- Oops! The Hiddlesgirls are not happy about Fox.
Watch your back Lawrence, the Loki army is rising to revenge their King.
- Eh, I don't care what LF says. He speaks his mind, I like that. Tom is perfectly capable of defending himself. If he has a problem with LF, I'm sure he tells him so in private.
- R514 note the use of the word "openly". He might have the ability to curse the heck out of 15 previous generations of people if he's mad, but he's not going to do that in public for sure.
I did notice how he tries to act cool with especially non-brits, calling them "dude" and "man" and it just sounds so wrong saying that in a posh british accent
- Do you need a cup of tea R516 ?
- This thread is hilarious. TH has a pack of attack fans! Who would know?
LF is skewering him perfectly and harmlessly. If TH complains, he is only going to make himself look ridiculous. Of course his fans, the ones he spends so much time cultivating, are already ridiculous.
I say bring it on. Maybe the next barn can be "I'm married to Billie Piper and you're not."
- R521 Who would want to be married to Billie Piper?
- Billie Piper is an amazing artist in every way, and HOT. Yeah, I would say she and LF are quite the power couple. They both have careers that leave TH way behind.
Someone please start a new thread pronto. The middle-aged unicorn princesses are getting annoying.
- R523 I'm never going to shake the image of her teen star self discussing how she can have intercourse for 3+ hours with her then boyfriend in one of those teen mags.
I'm sure she has grown up plenty and I'm also a big Doctor Who fan,but she remains completely unimpressive to me
And if your definition of HOT is Billie Piper then that's a really bad start
- Yes start a new thread so that people can sit there calling people who disagree with them 'fraus' and 'stans' whilst repeatedly refreshing this thread desperate for any new snippet of information about TH, cry-wanking to the sound of Tom dancing to K-Pop on continuous loop in the background...
- Christ, you people are invested in this. Yet, you call others "stans".
- Good grief! This thread is the very definition of an echo chamber! I mean, honestly, how can there be more than half a dozen people interested in this guy to this extent? And the vast majority of the posts seem negative. As a casual observer, I totally don't get the vitriole. This guy seems harmless enough. Not particularly talented, (based on the Deep Blue Sea) but entertaining. Maybe you're all misinterpreting that other actor's comments because Hiddleston apparently pissed in your cheerios???
And since this guy and Cumberbatch are ubiquitous on pretty much ever internet gossip site now (otherwise, I'm quite sure I'd have NO idea who they are), I can't help but notice that Cumberbatch also shows up to loads of charity stuff. Swankier events and more often than Hiddleston. Why haven't you lot started a thread of condemnation for him?
Totally don't get it.
- TH is following BP now but she's not following him back.if you read LF tweets he doesn't say anything malicious to anyone nor has there been any instances of him being aggressive. LF has a right to have an opinion on TH it's not our fault it's not good. TH is 32 FFS he doesn't need stans defending him when he could do it himself. Although I would like to see him bite back as it would give him an edge.
Personally TH career and public behaviour went down when he hired LW. It happenes a lot when you hire friends.the line between profession and friendship becomes blurred and someone would take the piss of the situation and no guesses who that is.
TH can still be friends with LW but he needs the boot
- I don't think he's gay but he's certainly a player. He's entitled to a private life as long as he doesn't used it as a publicity stunt like UNICEF . He deserved to be stalked on twitter IMHO by JA after that. You can't fuck with people's emotions its not fair. I don't know why his stans think he's the perfect boyfriend.
- R517 where? here or elsewhere? Not that I think LF would care, if anything it would just give him more fuel to make fun of TH.
- The difference between TH and BC, is that BC has always been politically engaged.
He spoke about politics, wasn't affraid to share his point of view and was involved in charities before he was well-known. He doesn't do it to promote himself.
I don't think TH does it (only) to promote himself but he's clumsy about it and not really committed.
- R528 BP only follows 11 people, it's no big deal that she didn't follow TH back. But, it's curious TH follows her given her husband comments. What do you know, maybe TH enjoys it.
It's more fun that TH started following 2 sites about box office.
- R527 because probably people here either don't really care about BC or don't find anything to say about him. Just because you talk about one actor you don't have to talk about all of them.
- R527 there's no pr bullshit going on with CBatch, he has a good publicist. He's getting the roles without having to resort to tactics to raise his profile.
He also didn't take his publicist on a charity trip to Africa.
- R531, I think you are right. TH has very little awareness of what the issues actually are in fighting world poverty. He is only interested in being able to play the saintly celebrity at the fundraising event. It's a publicity game. BC has actually stuck his neck out and spoken about the real issues, and I can think of plenty other celebrities who have done actual meaningful work. For TH, it is just noblesse oblige. He will never question the status quo.
I looked over all of LF's remarks and LADIES PLEASE CALM YOURSELVES. Pull your heads out of tumblr fantasy worlds and do something useful. You are a sad lot.
I do not see how any sane person can take these as anything but light-hearted teasing. If TH can't handle that, he has bigger problems than political cluelessness.
- R527, somehow BC comes across as more solid and profound personality. He has his own opinion and is not afraid to express it openly. His charity work is never widely advertised. But the most significant difference between BC and TH is that BC lands work, and TH doesn’t. BTW, if you check BCs fandom you’ll see that they somehow are more “mature” than THs, if I may say so.
TH seems to be stuck in his teens. He is extremely ambitious but it seems he still thinks that people do not take him seriously, he constantly seeks for approval. Someone in this thread compared him to a boys band and it’s seems right.
His PR is built according to his target audience – teenage girls. Earlier this year he tried to change it, but it didn’t work out. So now he’s back on his old tracks. He needs to change his PR and hire a professional, who’ll be able to work out an appropriate strategy and make TH follow it.
- TH has just a big big problem. His PR
- R336 I agree and like I've always said they can easily replace him as Loki. By time Thor 3 comes out he'd be really in his late 30s so good knows what he would look like then.
What TH fails to see is that the stans are in love with bloody Loki and not him. OLLA looks like its going straight to DVD, next it's crimson peak which stars the rising star Charlie H and then it's the kids film which nobody but 6 year old girls give a shit about.
TH doesn't know what kind of actor he wants to be that his problem. That and not having any balls to tell certain people to fuck off
- Can there be at least one page in a thread where someone who clearly is immensely informed about TH and all surrounding him come in here, claims he or she hates TH and then proceeds to calling everyone else names?
Can you people not take part in a civilized conversation where you state your point without throwing frustrations at someone else? What are you, all in high school? Can you not bring a point across with the use of only civilized words?
- R539: I agree. All this 'Stan' stuff is completely pointless bollocks. People have differing opinions - it doesn't mean they think he's flawless, just that they have a different opinion. Resorting to name calling is playground twattery.
- So basically...
1. Tom is a player. Not shocked because no doubt he was that spotty, unattractive dork who sat in the corner reading while the girls went off with his friends. He is now making up for lost time, gotcha.
2. Luke is a creeper who creeps into every aspect of Tom's life, Tom needs to fire him and creepy orange lady.
3. JA was just a fling and she has moved onto greener pastures, but yet the basic fanstans are obsessed with her because she is as basic as they are. No worries they did they same thing with Sian Clifford, also basic, dated Tom for like a month and then no doubt Luke had her body buried somewhere when her contract was up.
The girl Tom is flirting with in that video is so out of his league it's laughable. You can't sleep with everyone Tom, and she so isn't into you.
- I think the imbd lot have discovered us
- Oh noes....
- Quick,start talking about something that will scare them. So many options are running through my head but all are offensive.
What was happening on imdb tho?
- I do not dare go over there to look. It's a pretty irrational crowd, worse than Tumblr.
What I would like to know: What is it about Tom Hiddleston that brings out all the unlaid nut bags and bunny boilers? Will somebody please explain that to me?
Other actors don't seem to have this problem. Even Celebitchy, which used to be fairly cool, is going off the deep end.
At CB they all fell in love, again, after vowing not to, with 'Tommyanne' after his singing and dancing and air humping his adorable little self back into their lives. Those interviews filled with so much Tom-isms, so many declared cringe worthy, became too much to resist I guess.
Not worth going over there and trying to swim through all the syrupy adoration of TH for me.
- I'd love to get the answer(s) to that question, r545. It's strange: I'm no fan of Tom Hiddleston but I find these DL threads and the general adoration of him really fascinating. Disturbing but fascinating. The ONTD/Tumblr/CB love brigade is really something to behold.
- CB used to be refreshing and witty. Now they are all slobbery and desperate. It's like the invasion of the body snatchers or something. You go to a site where you assume you will find some sharp observations and distraction, only to find everyone throwing pretend cocktail parties and barbecues and gushing about how adorable their unicorn prince is.
If I were Tom Hiddleston, I would be slashing my wrists. But he seems to thrive on this crap.
- I'm disappointed in CB and ONTD. They used to be so reasonable about him.
- ONTD is especially execrable. For a site with posters who pride themselves on being able to see beyond the typical Hollywood/PR bullshit, they have been suckered big time. It's worse than Tumblr these days.
- [quote]he seems to thrive on this crap.
More to the point, you people obviously thrive on that crap and all the other crap as well. For you to hold your fellow-stans in contempt is ludicrous and hypocritical.
What the fuck is wrong with you? Nevermind, it would take a team of psychiatrists to diagnose. I feel sorry for Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch. Whatever their flaws, they don't deserve the likes of you.
- R551 you fit right in! You thrive on crap it seems as well.
If you do not like the topic why keep coming back?
- Y'all are more entertaining then TH.
- CB has turned ridiculous as has ONTD, it used to be so bitchy and entertaining when it came to Hiddleston, now it's a lot of stan-fapping and you better not make fun of even one hair on his head or we'll hunt you down and hurt you!!! How tiresome. I'm a fan, but he is no Disney prince to me, I like that sordid side he tries so hard to conceal. It's more interesting than that vanilla act he puts on.
- Because, R552, I am an actual *paying member* of the Datalounge and have been for years. You idiots are an annoying infestation of freeloading psycho fangurls.
You do not belong here. Go back to wherever the fuck you came from.
- Which video is R541 talking about?
- Oh, R555, relax already. How old are you, fifteen? It’s not even funny anymore. I find Renner and Pattinson threads to be annoying, so I don’t go there. It’s simple. Why do you feel the need to irritate yourself going places you find to be annoying? Paying member or not, just love yourself.
- Nothing is worse than a whiny queen r555.
- Liam is awesome
- This thread needs more Cumberbitches.
- R555 keeps coming back with the same old crap. He's like a dog with a bone when it comes to Tom Hiddleston. I think it is TRRRUUUUUUUUE LOOOOOOOVEEEEE.
- R556, the person might be referring to this video.
- Yes, that's the video I was talking about.
She is out of his league and he's too oblivious to notice it, so hilarious.
How is she out of his league? He's famous and has plenty of money (inherited and otherwise) - vapid-looking women like her fall for that shit all the time.
- Looks wise r564 and besides she was having none of it by the looks of it.
- Most pretty, wannabe actresses would much prefer walking the red carpet with a rich actor to interviewing him as he goes by.
- When you see that ONTD has thousands of posts about Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, One-D, Miley Cyrus, K-pop and other untalented D-list celebrities, it's not a surprise they worship Hiddleston.
For CB, one day I tried to post something about TH. It was a normal post, nothing insulting or hating just few facts about his lack of work and they censored it. It was the first and last time I tried to post there.
As for IMdB, they think he's the next Daniel Day Lewis, even the Cumberbitches are less delusional.
- That woman is gorgeous. It looked to me she wanted to appear she was flirting back but seemed snide about it.
- There was some talk in one post that the CB editors were actually approached by TH's people who sent ideas for posts. They actually acknowledged this (bragged about it?) in one of the TH posts. Make of that what you will.
- R569 do you have a link for that? On the imdb board someone made a thread about TH being a douchbag for a boyfriend . They had a point but was knocked down by the tumblr spawn. On CB there was a recent argument when someone said they preferred BC.
We need to start a new thread soon.
- Can't say I'm surprised if it's true. They changed their editorial line from "he's so annoying" to "he's so cute I want to fuck him and have his babies" rather brutally.
Are they paid to publish good things about him? Do the Cumberbatch people pay them too?
Anyway, I don't see the interest. It's not like CB or any gossip site are influencial in the bizz. You can have all the Internet buzz possible if studios don't want to work with you you're nothing.
- R569 It wasn't TH's people but editors of magazines.
[quote] You know what’s funny? Editors of magazines are now sending us promotional tips about Tom Hiddleston. Like, we’re one of the Hiddleston-loonie sites I guess.
- R555 Do you need to suck on some chamomile? I feel like you do, or you wouldn't keep coming back to a place you despise.
Seem like the only person with weird psychological issues is you.
Do yourself a favor and find your quiet place
- Can somebody find me a reasonable explanation for TH following Paul Walker all of a sudden? The best I could come up with was "it's an act of commemoration", but if he respected him enough to be sad about his death, why he only started following him now he's dead? He didn't know Paul Walker had a twitter account?
- Is it a fucking joke??? He follows Paul Walker now???
I feel sad for Walker even if I never saw one of his movie because that sucks to die at 40 and he looked like a cool guy.
But following the guy now that he's dead is totally sick and mental. What kind of "hommage" is this???
TH totally losts me with that, it's pretty disgusting.
- How is it disgusting?
You need a dictionary by your side, to look up meanings before exacerbating any statement.
He's probably going to tweet something re Walker's death soon and maybe that was his way of ...god knows, acknowledging, commemorating...whatever. His deal.
You really need a better use of your week-end than following TH's every move and overanalyzing it.
It gives the impression your life revolves around him it one Twitter move gets to you like that
- Why would editors send out tips on how to cover Tom Hiddleston? That doesn't even make sense. Editors edit their own publications; publicists are the ones who do the courting and tip sending. Last time I worked for a magazine, we needed another room just for the publicity materials that came in. This has to be a mistake on CB's part.
- Oh please back off...
It's not like he gave a fuck about Paul Walker when the guy was alive.
He can tweet he's sorry without following a dead guy on twitter. What does he expect? An answer from the death? A thank you from the family? A special seat at the funeral?
And what do you expect from him? A touching and meaningful speech about life and death on twitter? Even if I'm sure he's searching very hard a Shakespearian quote about death and irony of fate to tweet.
- R578 you hit the nail on this one.
TH appears to be one of those types who hops on any bandwagon that will get him noticed. Even to take advantage of a situation like Mr Walker's death, like to say Hey look at me! I am following him now in death because I CARE, not because I need the *attention* (*sarcasm in case you missed it) why not just read the news like a normal person instead of reading Twitter.
I am sure his stans on CB and Imdb are hailing him an angel for this latest Twitter fodder.
- Walkers account has had a massive increase in followers in the last 2 days. Someone on another thread pointed out it was 800k before he died. I just looked now and it's 1.3m.
- That only means that Hiddles isn't the only psycho but the entire world is fucked up.
- R581 Sort of agreeing with R579, he goes with the crowd. Except for the posts his Twitter is all over the place to me. He follows anyone and everyone. Just over a year ago he was following about 500 accounts, now it's 1100.
- Let us say something positive about TH.
For starters, he could do modeling.
He gives everyone something to talk about whether positively or negatively.
He must be fascinating to generate these endless threads, and it gives his creeper PR person something to do by having to read through them to make sure all is well.
His antics are entertaining, though wish he would use some of his money for singing lessons. Oops that was not positive, sorry.
Is this thread full yet?
- Can we get a separate Hiddleston thread please?
I get all excited for new Thor discussions whenever this thread is bumped up.
I don't need to know what he had for breakfast or tweeted.
- Not sure why TH or anyone would follow someone on Twitter following their demise except to see the latest news posted from those close to them. But in this respect, he is no different from many others in this age of social media. To each his/her own.
Since this thread is just about maxed out; here's the link to the new thread titled: Tom Hiddleston: Will Coriolanus and Crimson Peak help him win new roles in 2014?
- R579 The fact that he's a follower is a known fact. That's probably just the way he is, too insecure to state his own opinion or even to have one. So it's not too surprising he followed a dead man's account. LW probably told him to, just like that lame "fan writing Luke an email about too little UNICEF tweeting and poof! Tweet appears" action.
The miracle will be the day he ditches LW and starts voicing his own opinions. Sadly, he doesn't realize that would be the only thing that would make him interesting.
- R584 Ever thought of paying the $18 and starting your own?
- Twat at R587 this is a THOR movie thread. Why do I need to make another Thor discussion thread?
Thanks R585 for creating a new thread.
- R584 People talked about THOR2 weeks ago when it was release mostly everywhere. It's not like there's much to say, film is decent till Frigga's funeral then Marvel committee took over and it went downhill.
Thanks R585 for the new thread.
I'm the one who originally asked about alternative explanation for the sudden following of PW, I guess it was too much to hope the reason was TH knew the guy or something.
- Twat at R588 we don't! I was suggesting they start their own, instead of tagging onto old threads and pissing off the regulars .
- And R588 I can see you're also R584 same answer. Are you new to this site?
- For someone who says they can't sing and has a limited vocal range, I'm surprised he gets up and sings. Unless he says those things to fish for compliments. Take it from me Thomas, your right about sounding out of tune. Why does he continue 'sing'?
- R592 By his own admittance he's a complete exhibitionist (shame that doesn't extend to full-frontal nudity)
- [Can we get a separate Hiddleston thread please?
I get all excited for new Thor discussions whenever this thread is bumped up.
I don't need to know what he had for breakfast or tweeted.]
- R593 he's done that in unrelated. Even exhibitionist know their limit and wouldn't promote something they are not good at unless drunk.
Looks like LW has been busy linking DB to swift again. He could of picked someone who hasn't been round the block at least
- TWAT at R587 R590 R591 R593
Sorry i was not specific enough. I am not into knowing or speaking about TH. This is a [bold] Thor Movie [bold] thread. I was suggestion that it might be nice if there was a separate thread to discuss all things TH, which this thread has become.
I'm glad a separate thread has been made. Now you can run along and admire him there.
- R596 What are you doing here, this is a thread about a film that came out in 2011 for chrissakes. And that is what I was suggesting to R584 instead of bumping old threads pay and start your own with whatever subject you like.
And if someone calls me a twat because I make a subtle suggestion, I'll call them that back tyvm.
- R584 R588 R597 ???
- "Sorry i was not specific enough. I am not into knowing or speaking about TH. This is a Thor Movie thread. I was suggestion that it might be nice if there was a separate thread to discuss all things TH, which this thread has become"
So you're fed up with old threads being tagged onto, why didn't you say so, you sounded like a clueless fangirl. I'm guessing either English isn't your first language or you can't express yourself very well. No need to name call because someone misunderstands your poorly written post.
- What is with morons [/bold] who don't know how to close [/bold] bold tags? Jesus. [/bold]