All Threads by Date
Cary Grant ''Enjoyed'' Being Called Gay, Says Daughter
Hers was a Hollywood fairy-tale existence few, if anybody, can live: being the child of arguably the most famous movie star in the world %E2%80%93 and, certainly, the most dapper, elegant and charming. His name was Cary Grant.
"Okay, I had a crush on Dad. Okay, more than a little crush on Dad," Jennifer Grant, 45, writes in her warm memoir, Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant, which Alfred A. Knopf is publishing May 3. "My other real crushes were Donny Osmond and Jean-Paul Belmondo."
But it was Cary Grant who picked up young Jennifer at school, who read to her, taught her life lessons and saved every photo, souvenir and scrap of paper that the two of them shared for the 20 years he was in her life. He died, at 82, in 1986.
Those mementos and Jennifer's memories of them form the crux of her book, which is dedicated to her mother, the actress Dyan Cannon. (Cannon and Grant, who was married five times and divorced four, were wed from 1965 to 1969.)
"Something in me has always felt that my parents came together to make me. Vanity? Perhaps," writes Jennifer. She says that although Grant and Cannon loved each other, both were far too headstrong to remain together, something they both must have known in advance.
While Jennifer concedes that George Clooney possesses a touch of her father's magic, some readers may find her book short on star gossip. Cary retired and disassociated himself from the screen in 1966, age 62, to spend his remaining years with his one and only child. What it is long on are tales of growing up privileged in Beverly Hills, Malibu and other enclaves of the rich and renowned. She also recalls playing board games with Princess Stephanie in Monaco and shares Howard Hughes's advice to her father on how to pack for a trip. (Take only two suits %E2%80%93 one to wear and one to send out to be cleaned, he said.)
Cheap? No. Flirtatious? Yes.
Though the book is a model of discretion %E2%80%93 Cary himself was notoriously private about his life, and never wrote his own book %E2%80%93 its author, who is an actress and a mother of a 2-year-old son named Cary Benjamin Grant, does not shy away from the rumors about her dad. Specifically, she addresses rumors that he was cheap and that he was gay.
"In my experience, Dad was neither cheap nor excessive," she writes. "Which, for a wealthy man, is remarkable." Even so, he did deny her expensive designer jeans, because, he'd learned, the denims at the Gap came from the very same manufacturing plant as the signature versions.
As for Cary Grant's sexuality, "Can't blame men for wanting him, and wouldn't be surprised if Dad even mildly flirted back," his daughter writes. "When the question arises, it generally speaks more about the person asking."
Then again, she says, "Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."
- Jennifer Grant is 45 now?!
Oh, wait, so am I.
- that''s something that ties the two of us together.
big old homo
- Why don''t people know when they''re embarrassing themselves?
- Two heterosexual men can share a bed, goddammmit!
- Isnt the real story here that this bitch had a thing for her father?
- She''s being ridiculous. He''s been outed by many people and there''s no question that he was bisexual at the very least. The way she phrases it is homophobic.
- [quote]"Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong."%0D\
It''s the Kevin Spacey explanation. Translated to modern English it means, "I am a big old closeted homo"
- Didn''t the late Brendan Gill settle slap this particular bit of homophobia down 14 years ago?
- Who the fuck is she trying to kid?
- I went to Stanford with her.\
Really nice woman.
- Your daddy loved cock, Jennifer. Deal with it.
- Particularly when attached to Randy.
- Cary Grant threatened Chevy Chase with a defamation of character lawsuit for asserting this point he allegedly enjoyed.
- Randolph Scott was hot too!
- ... all of a sudden!
- "Okay, I had a crush on Dad. Okay, more than a little crush on Dad."\
OK, it is one thing for a girl to want to fuck her straight father, but wanting to fuck her gay dad? \
That is some twisted, fucked-up shit!
- Cary and Randolph
- That is really a lame cover she is trying to put on her father%E2%80%99s sexuality. I posted this on another thread as well as. Here is the illogic BS she spewing. Women all over the world went loony because he was extremely handsome. So why would her father even remotely need a stupid act to get women in bed? The man could have had anyone he wanted. Maybe a plain looking guy or an average looking guy went to that extreme to get a woman to have sex with him, but not someone who had people making offers right and left tossed at him. Also, she said her father-liked people to think he was gay? BULL. He even said himself that he claimed he wasn''t gay and got really annoyed being labeled gay. However, we all know the guy was way in the closet. This girl had a major crush on her father that was more than the ordinary crush. That should tell you what her mental frame of mind is like. The girl sounds sick and a liar.%0D\
Even Susielee on DL said he was gay. I think his daughter is on some major medication.%0D
- Cary Grant quotes
''Everybody wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.''
''I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or he became me.''
- He was in his 60s when she was born. She may actually believe he never had gay relationships because she never witnessed any.
- Cary and Randolph seemed to be more than friends, at least in my eyes...
Cary and Randolph in a romantic moment
- If he enjoyed it so much, why did he sue Chevy Chase for calling him a homo on the Tom Snyder Tomorrow Show?
- R23 looooooool. Right!
Which is your favourite Cary Grant movies?
- It's lovely to think of those two handsome men together. Cary Grant is probably my favorite male actor of all time. I enjoy any movie he is in.
- Gimme a break, dear. Who discusses their sex life with their daughter? Clearly he decided being a parent was important, Cannon was either a good companion or convenient or he was bi and attracted to her too. Too much smoke from his early life for there not to be fire and no surprise at all if he was Rock Hudson throwing naked orgy pool parties in his early adult years and daughter born at 50+ never saw it.
- I wonder if she discusses the course of experiments with LSD that Grant underwent under medical supervision.
- There's a lot of untapped material here!
- Meanness again. Why would you be surprised that this woman doesn't believe her father was a homosexual? She likely observed no hint of it herself in the years (62-82) she spent with him, more than any of us did, by the way.
Also, it is not unusual or perverted for girls to have crushes on their fathers.
- So she voluntarily admits to incest fantasies about her own father but somehow the possibility of Grant being gay or bisexual is absurd and just a projection of people who would have wanted want to fuck him. Am I reading this right?
- Everyone hates a homo!
My favourite movie with Cary Grant is
''Suspicion''. He was very intriguing in this film and his co-star was Joan Fontaine , plus they were directed by ALFRED HITCHCOCK.
- Was also at Stanford with her and had dinner with her and her father. Very nice, unassuming man.
We didn't talk cock or anything but it was a pleasant meal.
Always odd to be with a very famous person outside of Los Angeles where people tend to be pretty blasé about it.
R34 you believe that Cary was at least bi?
- Everyone's forgetting her mother's influence on this. Isn't Cannon a born-again Christian who has made appearances on the 700 Club? So it's not that surprising her daughter tries to cover-up Cary's sexuality, and sounds mildly homophobic doing it.
I wonder if Cary was top or bottom in his relationship with Randolph Scott. What do you think of it guys?
- So? Anybody knows or care to guess?
- I'm sure he would have told his daughter all about his downlow activities.
Cary and Randolph were very close at a time...
Closer it couldn't get!
- Gays would call him a fake?
- He enjoyed being called gay so much that he sued that asshole Chevy Chase for "calling him gay" on a talk show. Hmmm.
- Just watched His Girl Friday on TCM and Grant is fantastic in it and is openly flirting with Ralph Bellamy in a couple of scenes.
- 45 but still very foolish. She must take after her religious freak, mother.
- Ralph Bellamy????
- Cary Grant with...Tyrone Power!!!!!!!!!
- Because a daughter always knows all the details of her father's sex life.
- He was not gay but he was not straight other.
He was certainly bi.
- With Elvis!
- Cary Grant and A.C. Blumenthal
- R51, nice photo!
Cary was such a charmer.
- Very handsome
- Nice body too
- (When a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)
Cary with Amelia Earhart
- Cary Grant, 1930s
- Sweet and dandy
- With Loretta Young
Cary Grant candid on set VINTAGE Photo
He looks a bit gay here, right?
- Cary Grant barechested from 'Gunga Din'(1939)
- He was an absolute hottie in 'Gunga Din'
- [quote]OK, it is one thing for a girl to want to fuck her straight father, but wanting to fuck her gay dad?
I fucked my gay dad, but not by choice.
- Grant began a whirlwind romance with Barbara Hutton, Woolrich heiress, most eligible bachelorette, and, due to her tragic upbringing and marital turmoil, best known as “America’s Poor Little Rich Girl.” Hutton had already plowed through a Prince and a Baron, it was only natural that she’d be paired with the most dashing man on the big screen. Grant signed a detailed pre-nuptial agreement, but the golddigger rumors stuck — OH, I DON’T KNOW WHY, MAYBE BECAUSE HE STARRED IN THAT MOVIE WHERE HE MARRIED THE GIRL FOR MONEY?? — and the two were dubbed “Cash and Cary.”
- R19, looks like an ass on his chin.
- I think I'm going to write a book about how all these Hollywood offspring try to re-write the history of their parents' lives.
I'm going to call it, "Bitch, Please!"
- Girls! Girls! Lets just all sit down and read darling Boze Hadleigh again together.
He is always a deeply trustworthy source....
- Bath time!
- Wasn't there a rumor or blind item years ago about a young starlet having herself artificially inseminated and her older lover being so thrilled that her married her? He had no children from any of his previous relationships.
- We were just gym brahs!
- Sure Randolph...we got your point.
You were the top or the bottom with Cary? Just curious...
- Either he was gay or he was just aloof with women. I don't know even one scandal that has to do with a woman and Cary Grant. I have the impression that all his marriages were well-planned and they were not a product of passionate love or infatuation.
- [quote]Grant began a whirlwind romance with Barbara Hutton, Woolrich heiress,
Cary Grant, Randolph Scott, Irene Dunne in 'My Favourite Wife'(1940)
- R73, heiress or not, Cary certainly didn't fell in love with Barbara Hutton.
- The bi-est bi that ever bi-ed
- Look at the contrast between Randolph Scott's body and Cary's in R-70. Cary is very well proportioned and evenly muscled. When dressed and when young, I am sure both looked great, but it is obvious in that photo why Grant aged so very well. His background with the circus had made him aware of full body conditioning. And that gave him many extra years of attractiveness.
- Barbara Hutton, the girl from Woolworth's, probably had a lot of inner beauty.
As I understand it, Cary Grant really DID enjoy being called gay, but only by Randolph Scott, as he was pounding his butt when the two were roomies. Then how they'd laugh that anyone could think that they were homosexualists!
- Lol, i adore your style R78!
- I wonder if Cary and Randolph were friends until the end
- Whose end, R80?
- As a gay man who hates being thought of as gay because I hate homosexuals and I blame homosexuals for the reason I am single and remain so forever, (because I'm a victim), I say, he has balls.
Just your average self-loathing asshole
- Did he have an affair with Tyrone Power, or am I making that up?
- R68 I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here. Can you tell me why? I do know one individual he interviewed and the chapter published later was spot on. I recall the subject's only misgiving about the interview was a sense that the career was long over - that one felt a bit saddened and irrelevant after the interview.
- [quote]I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here.
Just here? Read his Amazon reviews. Wasn't one of his quotes from Noel Coward about the Brief Encounter remake, except by that time Coward was dead?
- Dyan Cannon: I Tried to Make Cary Happy
- Cary was an LSD lover. No kidding. I'm reading Dyan Cannon's 'Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant' at the moment.
It's very interesting so far!
In this book Cannon says that Cary could eat big proportions of food without getting fat. He loved food and he could get away with it. That was because of his metabolism, Cannon deduces, because Cary didn't exercise as well. He just swam for 15 minutes twice a month!
He was taking LSD because for him it was a big experience, it was as if finding God, all suddenly expand out of nothing and there is a joyous harmony.
By the way, he was very persistent with Cannon. Cannon tried to avoid him at the beginning many times by turning down all his proposals for dinner(she was using excuses all the time!) but Cary was very patient and persistent. He was talking with her on the phone every day same hour! The funny thing is that the time Cary was trying to get Cannon closer to him, he was also making the movie 'Touch of Mink'! If you have seen the movie, well, you can find the connection.
Did you knew that Cary took once Cannon to the set of Touch of Mink? Well, yes he did! She watched a scene that Cary was filming with Doris. The same day Cary introduced Doris to Dyan Cannon. It was all very exciting to her.
- If you want to know anything about a man's sex life ask his daughter.
- I love my dead gay dad!
- It's interesting that so many gays in Hollywood were forced in the closet and ended up knocking off their beards. Tony Perkins didn't stop having sex with men though. I'm sure Jake and Hugh are in the same boat.
- I know Cannon was attractive but what did he love about her?
Any Hollywood religious fanatic is unstable...don't we all know this? Why did he want to be involved with the nut case?
- "I've wondered why Boze H doesn't seem to have much credibility here.
Just here? Read his Amazon reviews"
R85 OK I've read the Amazon reviews of Hadleigh's work but there's no real substance there, just bitchiness. I'm no defender of BH and the only reason I know of him is because he interviewed a friend. (I'm European) And yes the interview was taped. A lot of people complain that the interviews were published after the subjects' deaths, but this was the agreement at the time my friend was interviewed.
Just wondering. ... seems it would be a shame for gays to not appreciate my friend's interview as an authentic one. No idea if others have been falsified.
- This link offers more info.
- Fuckin' elder gay, no one cares about some has been who was in a movie a hundred years ago.
- R93 nothing there - basically just debate about BH's age???
Just trying to understand the issue.
Oh, and R94 go fuck yourself ed vai mona, pussy hound.
- He enjoyed "being" gay as well.
Rail on,rail on but KNOW that your generation will fail to produce ONE "star" that anybody will give a shit about 50 years from now.
- Note the sweater.
Randolph Scott is wearing the exact same V-neck,cable knit sweater in the series of "domestic bliss" photos taken at their shared beach home.
How many straight roommates do YOU know who wear each others' clothes?