Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Family Feud” - The Pilot Episode

One thing I love about the internet is how we can now find old footage or episodes or movies (or just clips) of things from years ago. I love how I can find the very first episode of this game show that ever aired. And this was the Pilot. This wasn’t even the official episode 1. By episode 1 you saw some changes made from the original Pilot, including the color of the set.

The pilot was pitched to all 3 major networks. CBS wasn’t willing to pay the amount wanted to buy the show. NBC already had too many game shows so they passed. ABC had been looking for a game show they felt could compete with the other two networks so they bought it immediately, and it was a huge hit. The rest is history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2024 4:32 AM

Here is the official first episode, which aired in July of 1976.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2024 2:17 AM

Dawson was creepy as fuck. He would talk to girls in the audience. Then his gift grift came along. Unwatchable. Still is.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 2:30 AM

I think Dawson was the best host the show had.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 2:36 AM

That's not saying much. I feel sorry for the women who had to kiss him since that was the only way they were allowed on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 2:41 AM

I always joke that if a documentary was ever made about Richard Dawson and his time on “Family Feud,” they should call it, “The Women Richard Kissed.” 😉

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 2:47 AM

R4 that isn’t true at all. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 2:52 AM

OP, I too love to explore shows from long ago. This is a treat for me.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 2:59 AM

R6 Yes it is. It was mandatory kissing. He discussed it publicly. Sick person. He also met his wife on the show because she was one of the contestants. He flirted with her mother on air.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 2:59 AM

Loved the SNL version, Kennedys vs I don't remember. He approaches Jackie for a kiss and it's just NO.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 3:00 AM

R8 can you provide a clip of him claiming this?

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 3:01 AM

Richard was notorious for kissing all the female contestants, so it wasn't a surprise to anyone. The women were all asked before the show if they were comfortable being kissed; if they weren't, Richard was informed and he shook their hand instead.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 3:30 AM

R11 EXACTLY. It wasn’t “mandatory” at all. It was actually common to greet the opposite sex with a peck on the lips once upon a time.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 3:33 AM

I don't believe that. He kissed wantonly

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 3:41 AM

Even when they had the celebrity specials (called “All Star” back then) he kissed the women on the lips. And they always were fine with it. Like someone said upthread, they all knew beforehand and if they weren’t ok with it he shook their hand.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 3:44 AM

Did Richard slip them the tongue on camera?

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 3:49 AM

It’s way past time for Steve Harvey to fall victim to the Family Feud Host Early Demise.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 4:00 AM

Laraine was ok with it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2024 4:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!